Display Setting for 15inch Macbook Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ACint24, Nov 26, 2014.

1. ACint24 macrumors member

Hey guys - I picked up a 15inch Macbook Pro with Retina today and I am wondering what display setting I should use?

It came with the "Best Retina" option clicked but I would like to use one of the higher 2 options for more screen real estate. I have good eyes on don't mind small text. Do I lose any clarity by increasing these settings?

I also read about 3rd party programs to tweak the display settings... whats my best option?

Happy Turkey Day!

2. JTravers macrumors 6502a

I switched from a 17" and didn't want to lose screen real estate so I run at the 1920x1200 equivalent. I don't notice any loss of sharpness or clarity at all. And I can definitely see the increase in sharpness compared to the old 17". So if your eyes don't mind the smaller text and icons, I think you should be fine going to a higher resolution.

I haven't used any 3rd party options yet but am also interested in what people would recommend.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

The only downside is that higher display options will be harder on the computer, as it renders it at a higher res and then downsizes it to fit the screen. Nevertheless, I run it at the smallest size myself, and it works well for me.

4. webdevfreak macrumors newbie

I use SwitchResX it's very good. There is also Eye-Friendly which is good but not as many features as SwitchResX. Congrats on the new rRBP! And Happy Thanksgiving to you guys in the States!