display shakes

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by artivideo.nl, Apr 24, 2015.

1. artivideo.nl macrumors 6502

I have heard some comments that if you type on the keyboard the display just shakes because it is so light. Is this true ? If so does it make reading the display difficult while typing ?

2. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

you 'heard' this? from where...? i played with the mp twice in the apple store, did not observe any shaking...

3. saifrc macrumors member

It was probably one person, typing very hard on a soft surface (like a lap). I heard just one mention of it on this entire forum, so I don't think it's a pervasive issue.

4. JKNorth macrumors member

On a flat hard surface there's no shake. On a lap it does, but it's because the whole thing moves because it's so light. Especially if you are supporting it on only one leg.

5. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

You have to be typing pretty hard and wildly. I type with it on my lap all the time and don't notice the screen shaking.

6. koshper macrumors member

TBH I noticed this in all the first reviews. Check out the Verge review. It's shaking all over the place. The hinge felt light in store but not had a chance to fully test yet.

7. noobinator macrumors 601

I type normally and have no issues. Those people are hard typers.

8. Fuzzball84 macrumors 6502

I had the rMB and even with lightish typing on your lap or other soft surface the screen does shake. I think its because the hinge is so small and different compared to MBA and rMBP which have a much larger... likely sturdier hinge.

I noticed that every time I picked it up that the screen wobbles. I have no idea if this hints to it being more fragile or unreliable, only time will tell.

Also, the data/power ribbon to the display is different to other MacBooks. It is fed through the central part of the screen and not through the hollow hinges like in the MBA and rMBP. Ive seen this type of display wiring on my old IMB/ Lenovo thinkpads that had it arranged so that bending of the cable was reduced.. in the Macbook it looks like this connection does some serious binding. Again, only time will tell if its reliability is an issue.

All in the name of thinness lol :)

9. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

I am typing on it now on my lap and there is no screen shaking. The laptop itself is moving a bit since, obviously, my thighs are not solid like a table and they are a bit rounded so it is not a completely flat surface either. On a table/desk, I have noticed absolutely no screen shaking. And there is no wobble at all in the hinge, it is properly stiff while being easy to open and close when required.

10. mjs402 macrumors 6502

Mine shakes.

The body though is warped such that with the screen open and on a flat surface, the left corner where your left hand covers keeps moving while the right doesn't. So it's not even. It's clear if I press down on the left corner, it goes down and touches the surface of the table, but when I let go it doesn't. The right corner doesn't move at all. I tried different tables, surfaces.. it's the MacBook.. Had it less than 24 hours now.

Faulty unit?

11. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

No shake here. Just shake it off, shake it off...

12. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Return it immediately and get a replacement. A warped chassis is definitely a manufacturer's or shipping defect.

13. phas3 macrumors 65816

I've noticed this screen shake on my late 2013 rMBP and regular aluminum macbook while typing on my lap.

14. whatos macrumors 6502a

I've heard that once your done, if you grasp it firmly and throw it on the floor it bends. Could this be true?

OK, OK, enough kidding.

My brothers new MacBook doesn't shake while typing. But both our preferences are to use ours at a desk. In all the years I've used the delightful Mac Laptops I've owned I can only think of a few times like in the airport where I've used it in my lap. Ah yes, the beauty of portability..:)

15. jediDev macrumors regular

On a lap, the MacBook does shake for me because I'm a hard typer; it's a little annoying. But it's not the screen shaking independent of the rest of the machine; it's the whole thing shaking because my hands are shaking. It's less noticeable on the rMBP probably because it's bigger. But even though I wish it didn't really move at all, it's not that big a deal. The bigger problem is that it does get a little warm on the bottom, which makes me want to use a laptop pad as insulation from the warmth, which sort of defeats the purpose of having such a tiny machine.

That being said, it's a glorious little device. I have the 1.1.