Display sharpness with Mojave

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by HappyIntro, Oct 9, 2018.

1. HappyIntro macrumors regular

HappyIntro

I have a 2017 MacBook Air and am thinking about updating the OS to Mojave. However I've read that certain anti-aliasing properties that were in use with High Sierra and prior MacOS versions are not present in Mojave and that text and some other elements don't look as sharp as they used to on the Air's non-retina screen.

Can anybody share their experiences with Mojave so far on their Air with respect to this issue? Does text look less sharp on the relatively low-res Air screen? Is it any issue at all? Any feedback appreciated.

2. Sakellaris macrumors member

Sakellaris

3. HappyIntro thread starter macrumors regular

HappyIntro

4. jecowa macrumors regular

I'd be interested in before and after screenshots of what this does.

5. Macak macrumors newbie

Macak

Me too!

6. HappyIntro, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018

HappyIntro thread starter macrumors regular

HappyIntro

7. Argyboy macrumors member

Argyboy

Took a screenshot from my non-retina Macbook Pro 2010 just to give an idea of the difference that command has made in Google Chrome, for example. You can certainly see the difference between the fonts after running the command and logging out and back in.

Attached Files:

8. HappyIntro thread starter macrumors regular

HappyIntro

Thanks very much for posting those pics. The difference is interesting, not sure if I'm too excited about running the command based on what I see. Sort of like chocolate vs vanilla ice cream, some may like one over the other.

9. Argyboy macrumors member

Argyboy

Definitely. I found the fonts to be a bit jagged and indistinct before and the command definitely fixes that in my eyes, but as you said, it might not suit each user. Glad the screenshots helped to give you an idea of the difference though!