Display size if on your Mac 6 hours a day or more?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Jul 23, 2010.

?

Display size if on your Mac 6 hours a day or more?

1. 13" screen is good for long hours of daily use.

37 vote(s)
    20.4%
  2. Probably be better off with a 15 or 17" even though it's heavier...

101 vote(s)
    55.8%
  3. Definitely should hook up to an external display.

43 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Do you think it's suitable to use a 13" screen 6 or more hours day?

Or would you go with a larger screen size, such as a 15 or 17"?

Or, hook up to an external monitor?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It really depends on your eyes. I spend 12-16 hours a day on my 15", but I can't imagine doing that with a 13". Too many decades looking at computer screens.

3. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I spend a lot more than 6 hours on my 13", fine for me but it all depends on the person
    Spend 6 hours at the apple store :)

Couldn't imagine if it were high res

4. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

You're on your computer a lot! Which 15" did you choose, standard or hi res, glossy or AG?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Early 2008 matte screen.

6. mrdm macrumors regular

I turned 13" in for a 15"

and haven't looked back. The extra real estate really makes a difference for me. I have the iPad for portability.

7. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I don't like my iPad for portability over my laptop because I find it too limiting and frustrating when I'm out. For example I may be at a coffee shop and want to view a website that requires flash, or create, edit a document, type fast etc my iPad just frustrates the hell out of me and I kick myself for not bringing my notebook....

Do you bring your 15" with you at all or is your iPad your full time portable device now?

8. tim100 macrumors 65816

for 6 hrs only a 17. hooking up a display and keyboard defeats the purpose of a portable notebook (it is a good option for college kids or people who can't afford/or dont want 2 machines). I would never turn a notebook into a desktop apple makes nice desktops, mac pro, mac mini, and imac.

to answer your question for 6 hrs i would only use a 17. 13 is prefect for checking email and websurfing. 15 is a compromise not big enough for a desktop replacement not as portable as the 13.

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd go with a matte 15", the 13" is a bit cramped. I've owned computers with both screen sizes and prefer the 15" screen.

10. cathyy macrumors 6502a

I think it's fine. After all it's the resolution that's going to matter more than the screen size. Eg. Words are smaller on a 1680x1050 15" MBP compared to a 1280x800 13" MBP.

Depends on your age though. If you were my parents age (50+) I'd definitely recommend you to get an external monitor.

11. demonsavatar macrumors regular

This was hard to answer for me. The size of the screen and how LONG I look at it for had no correlation. The question is the size of the screen and WHAT I USE IT FOR. I do programming so I literally use as much screen real estate as is available to me. If I am just using my laptop (15" Hi res) I have 2 files open side by side. If I am at my desk with my desktop monitor and and another extra monitor (3 monitors total including the macbook), I use all three.

12. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I find that correct display brightness is more important than size. If it isn't set right (too dim or too bright), eye fatigue sets in more easily.

13. tim100 macrumors 65816

try 17

14. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That's a bit big, I've used one before and like the 15" + external display setup better.

15. tim100 macrumors 65816

Why

Why turn a MacBook pro into a desktop? iMac,Mac mini, Mac pros are desktops. I love all macs and can enjoy more than one. See my post 8

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Because many of use enjoy the adaptability of being able to use a larger external display, keyboard & mouse when at the desk, but still need the portability of a notebook when we travel. It's not necessary to have a separate desktop and notebook, when the MBP can do both.

17. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Err, I was talking about using the MacBook Pro as a laptop when I need it to be portable. And then I would use it with an external display when I don't need portability.

18. tim100 macrumors 65816

Why ever be at a desk? I spend enough time at a desk at work, no thanks any other time. Notebook can be used any where inside or outside. That's why a 17 is great at home and an air or 13 for the road.

I wonder when desktops will not be made. I can see them in big companies for employees chained to their desk. It's a mobile world iPhones, ipads etc.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For one thing, many don't have a choice and have to work at a desk, as dictated by their job. For many of us who are self-employed, working at a desk is more comfortable than working outside or with a notebook on a lap. My 15" is very comfortable, whether at a desk or other surface, at home or on the road. I have no need to have two computers and have to transfer/sync work between them. Also, not everyone wants or likes iPads or iPhones.

What works for you may not work for others, and vice versa.

20. Works4Me macrumors regular

I use a Dell 30" display with my 15" i7 MacBook Pro. Really enjoy it!

21. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

The 17" isn't heavy at all. It justifies the extra price IMO

22. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

How much smaller would the fonts be on the hi-res 15" compared to the 13" MBP?

23. magamo macrumors 6502

Whatever you do on your computer during the 6+ hours, probably it'd be better to have larger real estate than 13", I think.

24. kasakka macrumors 68000

Smaller, but I was surprised that they weren't the "damn this is small" kind you get with the 17". I thought the 15" highres was actually the perfect resolution for the display size.

I have a 13" MBP and while the resolution is sufficient, the laptop could easily have a slightly bigger display with a smaller bezel and higher resolution.

Still, for extended use I prefer an external monitor and a mouse over the laptop display and trackpad.

25. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Because I travel to other offices and homes and can't buy iMacs for every office. Having an external monitor ready on the desk when I arrive is important. I carry the tiny Apple bt keyboard and HP bt mouse. It's a great setup having dual displays when possible I really miss it when I'm in a hotel.

Cheers,