Display sleep equals computer sleep? 10.7 Bug?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iLLucionist, Jan 20, 2012.

1. iLLucionist macrumors regular

In order to push the battery life of my MBA 11" to the limit, I have (a) set Computer sleep to "Never" and (b) set Display sleep to "1 min". However, when the display goes blank, it immediately puts my MBA into sleep mode. Is this a bug?

It is really annoying. Every time I want to type something down, I have to wake up te computer, enter my password (I have passlock enabled for the screensaver) and get going again. I use my MBA alongside my textbook for note taking.

2. jj48 macrumors regular

My advice is to change the settings back to normal and get on with your life. How big is the battery life saving really? It doesn't sound like a bug to me, just how apple programmed it.

3. iLLucionist thread starter macrumors regular

If you explicitly tell it to let the computer "never" sleep, and it actually does, that sounds like a bug to me.

4. jj48 macrumors regular

Ok what exactly do have to do when you say you have to "wake it from sleep" then? If my display sleeps then I have to wake it up by clicking (for example) and then entering my password. And the same when my computer sleeps.

I don't actually notice the difference at all because of "instant-on" but there is a subtle difference in wake-up time. Is it this difference which you are not seeing? What do you actually want to happen exactly?

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

When I wanted to save power without shutting it down, I set a five finger sweep gesture to shut of the display in BTT. Works really quick and you can do it whenever.
    Saves more than a 1min sleep timer. Also 1 min is so short that is likely to get annoying quickly.