Display 'strobing' problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Timmbo, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Timmbo macrumors regular

I've got an aluminium 08 unibody macbook (I suppose an 'equivalent' of the macbook pro). Recently, I'm having issues with the display.

As the pictures below show, there's a 'bar' of distortion, running vertically down the screen. If I wiggle the screen, it can sometimes alleviate it, but if I knock the screen again, it'll reappear. It's a bit of pain.

Can anyone suggest which part of the innards I should clean? I tried taking the back off and cleaning away the dust, but it made no difference. I assume maybe it's a loose connection somewhere, but I don't which display connector to unplug and reconnect. Any tips/tutorials would be great, I don't really know what to search for.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

As it happens, place your palms over the "curtain" over the bezel, squeeze. U may have to do the same thing under, but there use two hands.

Has effect? If so THAT'S IT. It's called a TAB SEPARATION. Basically the connection(s), at that location, between LCD and electronic hookup is not making good connection anymore. Fix? really don't know until I can see it live, but top of my head, place some sort of material between LCD and the lid, so when lid closes, it provides additional pressure, as if your palms are there all the time.

3. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

Say what?

--i'd take it in and have the LVDS cable reseated, sounds like the cable is either loose or pinched.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

That's possible, but usually a lose cable affect a bigger part of the screen. The symptom shown too specific. But doesn't hurt, re-seat cable usually ez enuff.

5. Timmbo thread starter macrumors regular

is it possible to attempt that myself? mrbobb, your instructions are confusing - what do you mean by 'curtain', and where do I apply pressure?

6. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

Dont put pressure on the glass/lcd horrible idea. it can be isolated to a cable issue, graphics card or lcd. i'd highly recommend having the LVDS cable reseated as suggested.

theres nothing in the display housing (especially in the center of the screen) that can be resolved by "putting pressure" on it.

avoid it unless you want more problems...?

7. Timmbo thread starter macrumors regular

8. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

9. Timmbo thread starter macrumors regular

10. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

if you have apple authorized service provider close they could possibly assist with it too. as its a bit more involved then ram install.

11. Timmbo thread starter macrumors regular

i'm near quite a few official apple stores. i'm not under applecare any more though - is this the sort of thing they would charge much for? considering it shouldn't actually require any new parts.

12. Mrbobb macrumors 601