Display to complement MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jobbogamer, Mar 1, 2011.

1. jobbogamer macrumors newbie

I purchased a new MacBook Pro (the ones with Thunderbolt), and now I'm looking for a display to plug it into when I'm at home.

I like the look of the Apple Cinema Display, but I can't justify nearly £1000 for a monitor - that's nearly as much as the MacBook itself!

I really have no idea what I should be looking for in a display, since I've never bought one before. I sometimes use Photoshop, but not in a professional sense, and I watch a lot of movies on the computer as well. I never do anything like editing video or playing 3D games.

Can anyone suggest a good display for around £150-£250? I know that's probably not going to get anything special, but I don't need anything special really.

2. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

In some way, you've answered your own question. If all you do is a little bit of photo work and watch movies, but don't want to spend loads of money then use a good quality LCD TV.

To ask this type of question is much like asking a stranger what to wear in the morning. Well cloths of course.

Things to consider are and not limited to.

Screen size, pixel density, pixel resolution, refresh rate, brightness, contrast control, inbuilt not inbuilt speakers. Glossy or matt display, case design, connectivity. etc etc.

Read a lot of brochures, research the possibilities, work out what you need it for, build up your own specification then cross reference with your research and then try a few out, take your mbp to the store and try them out then make your purchase.

Sipmles.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The Samsung 2333T is a really nice monitor for the money. It has a high quality panel in it (It's a cPVA panel, which is a good thing!) and it is very reasonably priced. The only downside is that it doesn't come with a DVI cable, although those can be had for just a few quid. I have two of the 2333T and I'm completely satisfied with them, I'll probably be getting a third one within the month :)

4. jobbogamer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that. LCD TVs are pretty cheap these days.

I'll also do some research about the Samsung. Glancing at the Amazon page quickly, it looks perfectly suitable (and at a suitable price, too).