Display touching keys when macbook closed

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bluesTank, Nov 12, 2008.

1. bluesTank macrumors regular

Does this happen for anyone else? I just realized it the other day, because it leaves an ugly square grid on the display from the grease on my keys. I am thinking that if it was just a millimeter or so higher up it would not do that, but I can't think of a good way to accomplish that.

Does anyone else have this problem, and have any ideas on a fix?

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I notice it on my BlackBook because of the squares in the layer of dust on the screen! Don't see it as a problem though, they don't appear to be damaging the screen and I travel with my laptop on the back of my motorbike, plenty of movement there!

3. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Yes.

Fixes -
    1. Wipe your keyboard often.
    2. Put a piece of cloth in between before you close the display (you can actually buy something specific for this, do a search if interested)
    3. Finally, I find that it help when I am holding my MB with the screen closed, that I don't squeeze the body (which forces the screen to touch the keys).

4. bluesTank thread starter macrumors regular

What would you call something that protects the keys like that? I don't even know what to search for.

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

6. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Wow, there seems to be a new thread started for this every 2-3 days!

7. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I got one (I don't have the problem the OP has--I just wanted additional protection) and love it. It protects the screen and is awesome to clean your Macbook with. They got a lot of great products. Really good company.

8. eneisch macrumors 6502a

I just ordered the keyboard cover (although I don't appear to have a issue with keys touching the screen) and a sleeve made of the same material from radtech.

I used google and found a promo code, RTPROMO1, and received 15% off my total order. Not Bad!

I'll post back with my impressions of both items after I get them.

9. bluesTank thread starter macrumors regular

Is there maybe a covering for the whole aluminum part (the palm rest area) that raises up the thickness, so that I can just keep it on, and not have to put it in and out every time I use it?

10. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

???

Attached Files:

11. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

I use iKlean to clean my BlackBook and keeping the keys clean seems to help. I had a keyboard cover for my 12" PB but I have not found the need for one on the BlakBook. Try keeping the keys clean, that should help.

12. eneisch macrumors 6502a

Check out the radtech website. They make adhesive rubber "dots" meant to keep the keyboard away from the screen. Here is the link:

http://www.radtech.us/Products/Wildeepz.aspx

I'm not sure how they would affect the closing of the new macbook though.

Hope you find this helpful.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

14. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I just ordered a screensavr too (purple to match my incase hardshell :)), and in addition to that coupon code you can get 20% cash back from http://search.live.com/cashback on anything from Radtech. Just thought I'd share. I'll let you know how I like it when it arrives.

15. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

My friend has a Marware one and it looked nasty after 1 year. I think others on here had similar complaints about it.

16. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

New Unibody MacBook Screen Protector 13.3"

I ordered this, should arrive this week or early next week. Will do a video review on it when it arrives.

17. MacJenn macrumors regular

Bad choice. Wait a year and you will know why. Might be alright from the start, not for long. I did a search on here and it got terrible reviews.

18. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Have you been able to get scratches out, etc., like they say on the website? This thing looks pretty amazing... For $15 it's a GREAT investment! I'm very close to getting one, but I want to get some feedback first...

19. bluesTank thread starter macrumors regular

I guess if I am going to go with one of those things, I would rather just go to Hobby Lobby and get a thin piece of foam for $1

20. zotes24 macrumors regular

zotes24

why not just use the one that came with the macbook!

i understand this purchase, i wish stores had it here cause i would buy one just not something i would order. today is the 1st time i had marks on my screen from the keyboard. Would iskin help this as well?

21. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I can only tell you that it takes out minor to medium scratches I had on my Blackbook (I never had a major scratch). I don't know if it can do the same for the aluminum one. If they say it can then I personally would trust them. They are a great company and I have bought a few items from them. If you do a search about the company from this site you will see a lot of people like Radtech.

22. bluesTank thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I went and looked in my box but apparently I threw it out. Darn

23. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Thanks! Ordering it tomorrow... I noticed a small scratch on the top of my MB and I can't wait to see if this will help :D