Display variations amongst watches...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Sanlitun, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Sanlitun macrumors 6502

Sanlitun

There were watches in store today and I ran out and got the SG Sport which was the model I had wanted from the beginning but was unavailable at pre-order (I ended up with the blue sport).

Looking at them side by side just now I am seeing that there is a considerable difference in color contrast and gamma between them. For example the background on the brightness setting slider
    is less contrasting, and in the Astronomy face the rings of the planets orbits are barely visible on the new watch. There is a bit of a grainy cast to the new display, whereas my first watch has that amazing glazed/painted on look.

Going to try to take a picture in a bit...

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No different from display variations between iPhones, or any other iDevices for that matter.

3. MaulRx Suspended

I have a 42mm space grey sport and a 38mm sport and see no difference in the display.

4. Sanlitun thread starter macrumors 6502

Sanlitun

Here is a picture as best as I can manage that shows the difference. It's actually more than just a brightness difference but rather a variation in saturation and contrast. And yes they are set up exactly the same.

In person the difference appears greater and is enough to give the immediate impression that the new SG watch is inferior. I guess it will be going back to the store and I will just keep my original watch.

I realize of course that there will be variations amongst watches, but I am pretty surprised to see it so clearly myself.

watchscreens1.jpg watchscreens2.jpg

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Some variation is to be expected. Not a big deal for me as it is just a watch. I know it will drive others insane but other will never notice.

I know Apple saw this coming and we all pay for it.

6. dantay macrumors regular

dantay

I bet if you compare the Solar watch face or the Mickey Mouse there will be black clipping on the one on the left, looks like apple has another screen supplier and from the limited information we have they seem to have over saturated colours and black clipping.