Display via thunderbolt macbookpro early 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bror74, Nov 21, 2015.

1. bror74 macrumors newbie

Hi! I use Logic pro X on a MBP early 2011. Want to connect a display via thunderbolt. Is this even to think about regarding the CPU and GPU? Im already maxing my CPU sometimes.

is there a display that uses less cpu/gpu?

psi? tn? 60hz vs 144hz. does the resolution affect this? does the size (24"or 27") affect this?

I just need a bigger display not a good one. so what will tax my cpu/gpu the least?

Another thing.. Will swapping to SSD help regarding CPU hit, CPU spikes?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Adding a second monitor will not impact your Logic performance.

As for all the other questions: No. I don't see why you'd think it even matters.

3. bror74 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok! thank you!

so adding a monitor to the thunderbolt port will not tax the cpu at all?

and size does not matter?! ;)

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

No, it will not.

Perhaps size does matter, but that's another matter altogether.

5. bror74 thread starter macrumors newbie

hi again!

Ive changed my setup completely. Ive bought a mac mini 2012 i7 2.6. so Im wondering will it drive a Asus PB278q? so, the same question again i guess. will the intel hd 4000 1536mb in the mac mini handle the Asus? or will it use RAM in any way?

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

The intel 4000HD already uses RAM, it's an integrated card... I'm not quite sure what you've asking?

The Mini is meant to drive external screens, how could you use it without one?

The resolution of that Asus monitor is the same as the Apple Cinema Display, and also happens to be the max supported resolution. It'll work fine.

7. bror74 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im worried that since Im doin music in Logic x pro the Asus will use to much of my ram. Im gonna need it for Logic. maybe its a bad idea to have this kind of monitor? guess a 1080 monitor will use less ram?

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

It shouldn't affect RAM use all that much if at all.

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It won't affect RAM use at all, the screen doesn't, every computer has to run a screen, you couldn't run a 4K screen but thats more down to graphics power and connection bandwidth nothing to do with RAM.

Logic Pro X uses very little of anything other than CPU and RAM that quad core CPU should be fine and you can throw up to 32GB of RAM in that mini, but 8-16GB will do you fine.

SSD's will speed up your whole system and make the access of all your files tracks etc faster and more fluid, that mini is also a good machine for an SSD upgrade.

10. bror74 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

I acutally have a ssd in it. but I think 16gb ram (that I have installed) is maximum for this model, late 2012. or is there a way to get more ram? its the ram Iam worried about. Im movin from a early 2008 mac pro to this mac mini.

if I have the Asus PB278q connectet via minidisplay, can I have a second monitor on the hdmi port? again without drivin the intel hd 4000 too hard..?

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I'm sure I have seen that mac mini with 32GB RAM (2x16GB) the chipset can handle it but I can't find any good info on it.

12. bror74 thread starter macrumors newbie

BUMP!!

13. OrangeInc macrumors member

I don't know how relevant my response will be but I have the same year but 13" model. I don't think you stated what model you have because 15" has a dedicated GPU. On the 13" MBP 2011 the GPU and CPU are on the same chip so yes, the display you're using does matter (if using the integrated GPU models) and will definitely affect your CPU performance. Regarding thunderbolt output, I think it's rated to push 2500x1600 pixels which I wouldn't advise. When I connect a display I use 1280x800 on the external display because it leaves me with more CPU performance. Physical size of the display won't matter it's all about the resolution. More pixels means more processing and I may add once your GPU is maxed out the CPU will help out. I think that last statement simplifies my long post.