Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muhle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
When you go under setting/display and brightness there is an option all the way down called "view". you can set it to standard or zoomed.

But there is also an option in the same display and brightness called "text size" where there is a slider to change the text size.

My question is , what's the difference between zoomed display and larger text?
Does zoomed display enlarge both text and icons where larger text just changes the text size and nothing else?

forestinjersey

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Zoomed display increases icon size, system UI etc. Also gives you 1 less row of icons on the home screen.

Reactions: muhle

muhle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Zoomed display increases icon size, system UI etc. Also gives you 1 less row of icons on the home screen.
So if I just want to increase the text size of everything, should I just increase the text size slider instead of "zoomed display"? If i understand correctly. I do NOT need to increase the size of apps or icons or anything else.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Try them out is the best solution. It's kinda like asking what happens if I press the power button

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iPhone XS Max here, same amount of rows in both Standard and Zoomed.
@forestinjersey what iPhone have you seen that extra row of icons on?
On phones like iPhone 8 or iPhone 7 or probably the latest SE zoomed view will have one less row.

muhle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
So going back to my original question:
Does zoomed view enlarge both icons and text?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So going back to my original question:
Does zoomed view enlarge both icons and text?
As I recall it has the effect of "zooming in" on all screen content basically, so in that respect essentially everything gets a little larger.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What if I just need text to be larger nothing else?
Then adjusting the text size setting might be the better way to go, although I'm not sure if that applies everywhere across the board as some apps might not necessarily choose to respect it. There's also the option to make text bold which applies across the board and can make the text somewhat more readable too.

Seems like the best way to go about it would be to try out different options and see how they work for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.