Display War: Hi-Res 15" vs. 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thomj, Apr 21, 2010.

1. thomj macrumors member

I've been at Best Buy for the last hour or so and I am really impressed by the 17" resolution. I do, however, want the portability of the 15". Is the Hi-Res 15" resolution of 1680 x 1050 comparable to the 17" 1920 x 1200?

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

What kind of question is that? More resolution will always equal more desktop real estate, regardless of the physical screen size. So in that sense, the 15" high-res display STILL wouldn't compare to the 17" high-res display because the 17" display still has 23% more resolution.

If portability is a huge factor for you, get the 15" with the high-res display. The $100 upgrade is a relative no-brainer.

3. tekmoe macrumors 68000

If I am not mistaken, the 15" hi-res is 128 PPI whereas the 17" hi-res is 133 PPI. So yes, the 17" is better if you want maximum screen real estate.

4. thomj thread starter macrumors member

I am not sure if I am being misunderstood or if I am ignorant, but I am really wondering about the resolution of text and images. I am not concerned about the actual screen size.

5. thomj thread starter macrumors member

5 ppi difference. Thanks for that information! Do you mind telling me your source?

6. DFTU101 macrumors member

I have both the 17 inch MBP & the high res 15 inch. The screens are comparable in terms of depth of color, font sizes, resolution & images. The 17 inch (in my opinion) can be unwieldy to carry around. I would definitely go for the high res 15 inch for portability (over the 17) without hesitation.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You take a rule to the screen and measure the length (13.0625") and divide that in to the resolution (1680); same thing for the 17".

Other way if you're lazy is to Google it.

8. nconnella macrumors regular

I just got my 15" High Res and the answer is yes. When you are talking about image quality and text size they are comparable. Naturally there is no way to have the same desk space on a 15" as a 17" but you do get more than the 15" standard res, with a image quality that looks like the 17". I love it it because the 15" is definitely more portable than the 17".

9. underblu macrumors regular

I was worried about the portability thing too. But I've been using the 17 and it's not that much different portability wise than the 15 I had. On the other hand the extra screen space is very noticeable.

Hey look I'm no Starbucks browser but if I were the MBA, MB, MBP 13 or even iPad would be my device of choice over either portability wise

10. ApplePu macrumors regular

i finally ordered the 15" hi-res last saturday...i couldn't decide to go with the 15inch or the 17inch. after lurking around about 3 hours (on several days) in the apple store, 17inch just felt wrong. i absolutely love the big screen but as a device the 15inch just feels better. i think the 15" hi-res is best of both worlds: nice screen and reasonably portable at the same time. i've never seen the hi-res screen in real life though......i'm still arguing with myself if my decision was right and i'm tempted sometimes to cancel my order again to get the 17" at the store....the hi-res 15" is a real improvement but it makes things more complicated as well....

11. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

If you think you can carry around, get 17-inch~
    My opinion is 15" & 17" is not really a huge different, also the price of 17-inch is dropped, so why not 17-inch if you like it.

The price for upgrade it to HI-Res is quite dear too...