Display will not sleep...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miamialley, Apr 27, 2010.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I have set my display to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity (see screen shot). This has worked up no problems for the life of my MBP (1 year). Now, all of a sudden the display won't sleep. The display remains on, and does not dim either.

Restarting the computer causes this feature to function again...then it starts to not sleep after a a few hours (or so).

What's this all about?

*Edit* Obviously, the computer is undisturbed. I can leave the room for an hour and my display will still be on full strength.

Attached Files:

2. acribb macrumors regular

I noticed this too on my new i7.

Sometimes the display will sleep, sometimes it won't.

I know if I am exporting a slide show using Aperture 3, that the display definitely does not sleep. I have to manually dim it down to nothing and then walk away. It's also taking over 4 hours so far to make a 1080p 12 minute slide show, but that's a different story.

Unfortunately, I am noticing more and more that my new Macbook pro is far from perfect and just as buggy as a Windows 7 machine in reality. I have had Aperture 3 crash because it is non-responsive several times, and everything gets real laggy real fast when using several programs at once.

All this combined with a power adapter issue and the yellow screen issue kind of has me second guessing my $2400 purchase.

3. vampyren macrumors regular

I just placed my order for the i7 so reading this makes me doubt my decision.
    Still i wonder if this is a hardware, OSX or simply application problem?

As long as it is not a HW issue i guess it is fixable.

4. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

5. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I'm running into this now as well. It was sleeping just fine when I first got it but now the display won't sleep. Not sure what's up. Not sure if it's related but I also recently noticed (not sure if it was at the exact same time) that now my documents folder in the dock doesn't show the subfolders by arcing them up from the Documents icon. Now it pulls up a dark window with the folders in it similar to the applications folder. Not sure if that's just because I've got more items there or if it's related to some change that stopped my display from sleeping.

6. vampyren macrumors regular

Just to be sure if you restart your MBP without starting anything, will it go to sleep then?

I'm thinking maybe this is due to some application running in the background which is disturbing the sleep to happen ?

Also do you have other programs which starts with the OS?
    ex: little snitch(firewall software)

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Repair permissions with Disk Utility and do PRAM and SMC reset

8. dr4g0n macrumors member