Display with USB Hub for a MBP in clamshell mode

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Theozz, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Theozz macrumors member

Theozz

Hi,

I have worked in Extended desktop mode with my MBP, but it's plugged on a HDTV, so it's not so good when I need to do some writings (quality sucks and my eyes bleed :confused:)

I want to use the MBP as a desktop computer, in clamshell mode AND still be able to plug my Windows computer if needed. I need a display in which I plug keyboard/mouse so I have less thing to plug when I switch between my PC/MBP or when I come home after school and plug my MBP.

I saw that some DELL displays have "USB Hub" (like this one). Could it to the job ? ;)

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

There are a bunch of displays with built in USB hubs. Work well for things like keyboards, fail with USB drives.

Most monitors, like my LG, have switchable inputs. DP, HDMI, perhaps DVI. You can switch seamlessly between computers connected to different inputs. The computers even think there is a monitor connected when another computer's video is being displayed.

You will have to move the USB cable form computer to computer, however.

3. Theozz thread starter macrumors member

Theozz

Thanks for your feedback !

Yes, I'll just have to move the upstream-USB cable but it's way more convenient if the mouse and keyboard stay plugged.

Are you happy with your display? How could I know fonts won't look blurry ? ;)

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I have a rMBP. Fonts on every external display look a tad blurry to me except perhaps the Apple display, its an OSX thing. But then I have sensitive eyes.

I don't use clam shell mode. I put the rMBP on the keyboard shelf and the external monitor on the desk and with my furniture that makes an ideal layout, one screen right above the other. I use the laptop screen for all or most of my text and the external for most everything else.

If you have sensitive eyes, you will need to audition monitors to find one easy on your eyes.