Display ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Westone, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Westone macrumors newbie

I have a new MacBook Air running OS X 10.7, and this is the first Mac of any kind I have owned. Last night I hooked up my LCD TV as a second display and was able to watch a streaming movie on it, which was nice. I noticed two things though. While the movie was streaming, the illuminated keyboard, which is set to go dark after 30 seconds of non-use, stayed lit up the entire time even though it was not getting used. I looked at the settings for the keyboard and did not see any reason for it to stay on. To conserve the battery it would be nice if it would turn off while the movie is streaming.

My second question is about the main display on the laptop while the second external monitor is hooked up. It would be nice if, while watching a movie on the external display, the main display on the laptop would go dark, or at least go to the screen saver, but it will not. Is there any way to turn off the laptop display while still using the external display to stream a movie? Or set it so that the laptop can be closed, causing the main screen to go dark but not go to sleep while watching a movie on the second display?

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

As for the Keyboard: In the System preferences you can uncheck the option that the Keyboard automatically lights itself in dark surroundings.

The screen should turn itself dark from alone, unless you altered the energy saving options to do otherwise.

3. Westone thread starter macrumors newbie

I did uncheck the Illuminate Keyboard in low light option, but it still stayed illuminated. It's lit right now in bright conditions.

The screen stayed lit as well, even after an hour of non-use on that screen. I figured the movie playing on the other screen just kept either screen from going dark.

4. rmcnelly macrumors regular

When using the MBA on an external monitor, I have the menu bar set up on the external display. I can then just close the MBA and only the external display is lit.

When I unplug the external display, the menu bar transfers back to the built in display.

Would this work for you?