display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ac-mac, Jun 10, 2007.

1. ac-mac macrumors member

Yeah... I know this gets mentioned every day so I'm sorry, but I have to ask.
    Looking for a display:
    - around 19-22"
    - compatible with macbook
    - plays HD video
    - looks good
    - is compatible with PS2/3 (preferably both)
    - has at least 2 USB ports

And also, can I turn off my screen and run leave the macbook in clamshell mode, so that it does not get too hot, or would you recommend running both side by side (although i really don't have that much desk space)

Thanks, as always.

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

I would recommend a 20" or 23" Cinema Display. They are pretty good displays and are not that expensive.
    EDIT: Relized you are from the U.K., not United States.

3. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

Many monitors (Dell 2007WFP and ACD to name a couple) will do most of what you asked. For component/HDMI input (for the PS3), however, you'll probably be looking at a 23-24" monitor. It seems manufacturers don't put component/HDMI-in on monitors not capable of 1080p -- most 20" widescreens are native 1680x1050.

I run my Macbook in clamshell mode all the time. The heat doesn't seem to transfer to the display, just vents out the back.

4. ac-mac thread starter macrumors member

I think I'd prefer the Apple Displays, and the VESA compatible thing looks intriguing. Is it relatively simple to do (I mean as simple as putting a picture on the wall), or will I need to get some one to do it. Has anyone tried putting a 23" ACD on a wall, and can you still access the ports at the back?

5. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

You definitely don't want to anchor it in just drywall. My brother's iMac is, and is also on the verge of making a nasty bellyflop onto his desk.

You can get arm mounts that extend, swivel, pivot, etc. Most mounts protrude from the wall a little, anyway, so cables would probably fit.

6. robcts macrumors regular

Get a Dell, not an Apple display. Much more value for your money.