Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Frozonecold, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Frozonecold macrumors 6502

I do mostly web-design work with some occasional photography and print design. Is the 23" ACD the best choice for me?

2. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

IMO the 23" ACD is not the best choice for anyone, unless you're filming a movie or TV episode and need the coolest looking monitor. It's not adjustable at all, has EXTREMELY limited inputs, and expandibility is a joke. Also, its expensive, and hard to calibrate, which you will need for your designing. Take my Dell 2407 wfp as an example: it's a USB hub, and I can simultaneously plug in my mbp, xbox, xbox 360. and it still has 2 or 3 inputs left. Plus, I only need 1 usb cord to my computer, and everything else (printer, mouse, external HD) is straight out of the monitor.

3. Frozonecold thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't want a USB hub/ ultimate input tv. I want a good monitor, I can't adjust the height of my Dell display, but that doesn't matter that much to me. I should have said this earlier, but I will be using said monitor for both design work and personal use. So it needs to display colors fairly acurately and play DVDs well.

4. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

I use dual 30's for web and graphic work. I had no problem calibrating. All that extra stuff is just extra stuff. I just need monitors and maybe a usb input or two. I have a 2407wfp dell for my pc if I want to read a memory card or something.

The extra real estate I have, I really benefit from and with. For doing comparisons, having things 100% without any zoom or minimal zoom. Do it right the first time.

ACD's are known for being precise with colors. Where as a lot of other monitors, even the dell, has more vivid unrealistic colors, even with calibration.

5. Frozonecold thread starter macrumors 6502

I hear that a single 30" display is too much for most people, so I dont think two of them are right for me. I have used an ancient dell lcd and an iMac display for design work, so I wonder if I would need an ACD. I think the iMac's display was great for design and watching DVDs but I may be ignorant.

6. chamrick75 macrumors newbie

I highly recommend the 23" - it's a great monitor for doing Web design. I'm currently using one myself that I purchased two weeks ago. I will honestly say, though, that the only reason I purchased it was because it was an Apple. At Best Buy, many of the other monitors that cost half as much looked just as good - and some even better. I had the money, so I chose Apple for the esthetic reasons.

I will say, though, that the previous generation 24" iMac is also a fantastic computer for doing Web design work. I used it for 6 months before switching to the ACD setup and actually prefer it. If you have a nice 24" iMac, I don't see any reason to switch - I think the screen quality is fantastic for design.

7. Frozonecold thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I will get the ACD. How is it for DVDs? I would never get one of the ones that cost half as much, as they use crappy panels that are not true 8-bit.

8. Photomax macrumors regular

If you visit one of the brick stores with rows and rows of displays all glaring at you keep in mind that the store guys usually have all the displays cranked up to their loudest, brightest full contrast settings.

I lot of people then pick the "brightest" and take it home. The thing is that very shortly the user will need to crank these settings down, especially if doing any real work with color.

In my opinion there are the ACD's and then there's everything else. If you are producing web graphics where you need to paying attention to Apple and Windows web color spaces etc, then the ACD (choose your size) is a logical choice.

Sure if you are looking to pick a display that fits in with your overall "entertainment center" with ports galore there are other choices. If you are doing color work there are more good reason to choose the ACD over the others. Also, like most things high end Mac the Apple Cinema Display holds good resale value. Try selling as used Dell or Gateway monitor...

9. Frozonecold thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sorry to tell you this, but I asked about this because I really don't want to buy an ACD, but it seems that it is the best for my use. I was hoping that someone would propose an alternate solution. But other than trading my Mac Pro for a 24" iMac or buying the dell port whore with inaccurate colors, I have yet to find an alternate solution. And BTW I only decided to start seriously looking into buying that monitor after reading your post. Am I an ass for agreeing with your opinion. The only reason this thread is alive is because I want to make sure that I won't need to buy another display for general use.

10. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

I'm going to look into the samsung SM2493HM.

It's due out soon and looks like a really good spec!

11. Frozonecold thread starter macrumors 6502

Specs can lie, make sure it is a S-IPS panel. If it is then I am all over that monitor. I am still not 100% about the ACD. I have a suspicion that It sucks for non-graphic work like playing DVDs.

12. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

There aren't many screens out there that use s-ips these days. Unless you want to pay over the odds for a screen, i'd say this Samsung would do most jobs just fine.

13. amik macrumors regular

I know you are concerned more about web + photo work but I really only do photo work and other general tasks so my use may be a little different. I previously used a Samsung 244T that was pretty decent for photo work. I've recently purchased a HP LP3065 which does use an S-IPS panel and it is impressive. I have yet to calibrate the HP but from reviews and owner reports it sounds like it calibrates fairly well. There are plenty of good reviews floating around for monitors on some of the photography websites.

14. Frozonecold thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey, thanks for answering my question without calling me an ass. I would imagine that if the display is good for photo use, then it is good for web+photo use. How does it perform for DVD playback and what is the cost?

15. amik macrumors regular

They both do just fine for DVD playback. My company purchased the 244T for me so I'm not sure of the street price, but I picked up the LP3065 for just under a grand.

Here's a decent review of the lp3065 http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2950

16. Frozonecold thread starter macrumors 6502

That is one beautiful display. Does it come in a smaller version? I want a 1920x1200 resolution, so whatever displays that have that resolution are the ones I am looking at.

17. amik macrumors regular

I was looking for a 30" so I didn't even investigate the HP 1900x1200 options. The Samsung 244T is 1900x1200 and I was very happy with it. You may be able to find one locally to go take a look at. Bring a flash drive with some images you know and be sure to change the settings back to the factory defaults. The Samsungs have some of presets that can really distort your perception if you don't realize they are enabled. It is an S-PVA panel if I recall correctly but I'll let the monitor speak for itself.

This may not be practical, but if you can swing it, I'd pick up an ACD and the 244T, then set them up side by side and drag images back and forth. Keep the one you like and return the other.

18. Frozonecold thread starter macrumors 6502

That may not be practical, as you said. Thanks for the suggestion though.