Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhpenn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
I'm using 10.15.3, and I use DisplayCAL and Colormunki Photo to Calibrate my Monitor and Create ICC for my Monitor.

In DisplayCAL I select a Testchart with 4954 colors(not sure whether the color number will be a problem)

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 7.33.09 pm.png

It is so wired if I use that ICC to start up the MAC, After the login page, the mac will become SUPER slow, take few mins to load all the app, and run Chrome super slow, Even changing the chrome tab will take 2-3 secs. The scrolling and typing are almost impossible.

BUT If I activate the default ICC or other ICC create by other software, the speed will become normal again!

Even later I click back to that DisplayCAL ICC will still normal.
JUST CAN NOT BOOT WITH ICC created by DisplayCAL.

I have attached screenshot ICC info
left hand side created by i1 Studio(default software) and Right-hand side by DisplayCAL
Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 8.05.35 pm.png

I have also attached the ICC, does anyone know why is this? thanks a lot

Attachments

• DisplayCAL DELL U3014 A 2020-01-31-01h 110cdm2 D6500 2.2 M-S 1xCurve+MTX.icc.zip
    881.1 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

AdamSeen

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2013
When you set to maxmem=131072, it's not clear what units they are in. Is it GB? KB? Bytes? Maybe worth checking in activity monitor once you boot up to see how much memory the OS sees.

Try this to unset:
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args=""

Last edited:

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA

because of the above post, I want to limit the 192GB RAM to 128GB RAM to check performance.

then I follow this post:

limit to 128GB
sudo nvram boot-args="maxmem=131072”

after using the command, my Mac Pro becomes almost unusably slow. after reboot, the ball is still spinning for 10 - 25 mins before I can use it. after that, even open a Chrome tab and typing will still be laggy, just like using a 20 year old mac.

I restart the mac, then found that very slow, then I use this command to exit the "limit mode:
sudo nvram -d boot-args

nothing change

then

I have reset nvram, but not working.

what happens to my Mac? thanks a lot
Post back the Apple -> "About This Mac" display.
Note: It's unclear to me how the system uses/allocates the DIMM's to meet the 128 GB you've configured. What is the DIMM layout on your MP7,1 that gives you the 192 GB ?

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
thanks for letting me know to never do that

terminal commands should be classified as a WMD . It's like launching a missile without it being locked on anything .

If you need to adjust the amount of memory your Mac is using , simply remove memory modules or buy an entire new and optimized memory kit .

I'm old school - physical methods rule .

Reactions: rxs0

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
terminal commands should be classified as a WMD . It's like launching a missile without it being locked on anything .

If you need to adjust the amount of memory your Mac is using , simply remove memory modules or buy an entire new and optimized memory kit .

I'm old school - physical methods rule .

Removing memory modules stopped to reset NVRAM parameters with late-2013 Mac Pro. It was a stupidly security vulnerability and a way to remove firmware password.

zhpenn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
I already restored from my timemachine?
[automerge]1580486375[/automerge]
If resetting NVRAM fail, try to clear NVRAM reset three times constitutively.
on my old mac, If I keep holding Cmd option R P, it will keep restarting when see the apple logo, but on my New 2019 mac pro, it can only restart once then go to log in screen,even I keep holding those keys. not sure why

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
I already restored from my timemachine?
[automerge]1580486375[/automerge]

on my old mac, If I keep holding Cmd option R P, it will keep restarting when see the apple logo, but on my New 2019 mac pro, it can only restart once then go to log in screen,even I keep holding those keys. not sure why

Sounds normal .

When I NVRAM reset my MP7,1 , the Mac will only reboot once after I continuously press the PRAM keys .

It will then automatically go through the start up sequence no matter what .

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
I think you need to lift up the key presses and engage the key presses again right after what would be the bong. You have to time it. You cannot just keep the keys depressed.

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
I think you need to lift up the key presses and engage the key presses again right after what would be the bong. You have to time it. You cannot just keep the keys depressed.

Hmmmm ... the continuous press method worked on all the Macs before ...

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
Removing memory modules stopped to reset NVRAM parameters with late-2013 Mac Pro. It was a stupidly security vulnerability and a way to remove firmware password.
His mention of removing memory modules was a reference to changing the amount of memory, not resetting the Mac.

Soba

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
Hmmmm ... the continuous press method worked on all the Macs before ...

Unfortunately, not all of them. A number of Macs I've tried will not recognize the key press if you hold them down through reboots.

When I instruct someone to clear the NVRAM 3 times, I always include the step to release the keys for an instant after the system chimes, then immediately press them again. That way, the procedure works on every system and prevents confusion for the user.

Aside: I used to be a sys admin and these days work as a Technical Writer, so I am obsessed with making instructions as robust as possible. Thankfully, I am no longer the support guy everyone calls back because my first set of instructions "didn't work," but I sympathize with the guys who now have to field those calls in my stead. :p

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
Unfortunately, not all of them. A number of Macs I've tried will not recognize the key press if you hold them down through reboots.

When I instruct someone to clear the NVRAM 3 times, I always include the step to release the keys for an instant after the system chimes, then immediately press them again. That way, the procedure works on every system and prevents confusion for the user.

Aside: I used to be a sys admin and these days work as a Technical Writer, so I am obsessed with making instructions as robust as possible. Thankfully, I am no longer the support guy everyone calls back because my first set of instructions "didn't work," but I sympathize with the guys who now have to field those calls in my stead. :p

Try being the repair guy when all these old rigs ( who have individual personalities ) don't behave as expected ... its an art , not a science , unfortunately .

Case in point , it took me two hours to properly diagnose over the phone a failed DP HDMI adapter cable connected to a cMP with two 4K HDMI displays . Everything worked as it should individually . But I deduced the cable needed to be actively powered for some odd reason when used in conjunction with another HDMI display . That shouldn't have happened given the length of the cables , the number of channels and the model of graphics card . But it did . Might have been particular to his model of displays .

Reactions: Soba

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
When I do the THREE CHIMES ( consecutive) NVRAM reset . .I get

1st. CHIME 15 secs after power button press

then the next two chimes com 30 secs. apart.

Then I release the keys and Mac OS ( Mojave ) startup is normal.

EG : I'm too lazy / busy to install Brigadier in Windows 10 ( on it's own spinner HDD ) as I so rarely use WIN so when I shut down Win 10 I perform the above consecutive THREE CHIME NVRAM re-set .. . the cMP boots back into Mojave.

Seems to be working OK for me at least & has apparently fixed quite a few past problems.

==================================

It would be interesting to know where the "CONSECUTIVE THREE CHIME" NVRAM reset technique originated.

From an Apple engineer ?

EDIT :
Very briefly releasing the keys after the first CHIME would appear to nullify the " THREE CHIME " technique.

What is the difference between the two techniques? Sources please.

zhpenn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
When you set to maxmem=131072, it's not clear what units they are in. Is it GB? KB? Bytes? Maybe worth checking in activity monitor once you boot up to see how much memory the OS sees.

Try this to unset:
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args=""
I have restore via time machine, then upgrade 10.5.3, everything ok in the biginning, I did not install new app, then after 2 restart, the problem happen again, especially chrome almost unusable, but the cpu usage ram usage looks very normal, and I have quit all the app I can quit, still the same

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Chrome has in the past 'bricked' some cMPs.
I will never install it on any Mac.

Have you tried Googling "100% un-installing Chrome" ? Followed by a 3 chime consecutive NVRAM re-set ?

Also, I feel that the 2019 nuMP should not have been released until Catalina finalised.

It's like launching a cruise liner without lifeboats.

zhpenn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
I think I found a problem, it look like nothing to do with the command line
It is just because an ICC display profile, it is so wired when activating an ICC profile that create by displaycal will become very slow, even changing chrome tab will take 2 secs
when I activate the default ICC will become normal, soooo wired
here is the ICC, does anyone know why is this? thanks a lot

Attachments

• DisplayCAL DELL U3014 A 2020-01-31-01h 110cdm2 D6500 2.2 M-S 1xCurve+MTX.icc.zip
    881.1 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
I have restore via time machine, then upgrade 10.5.3, everything ok in the biginning, I did not install new app, then after 2 restart, the problem happen again, especially chrome almost unusable, but the cpu usage ram usage looks very normal, and I have quit all the app I can quit, still the same

zhpenn , is your Mac still behaving abnormally ?

zhpenn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
zhpenn , is your Mac still behaving abnormally ?
YES once I use other ICC to start up the mac will not have any problem, super wired.
I have edit the original post, can you please have a look, now become a new problem

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
YES once I use other ICC to start up the mac will not have any problem, super wired.
I have edit the original post, can you please have a look, now become a new problem

I'm sorry , I don't know enough about ICCs to make any useful comments . But I cannot fathom why any ICC would cause such general latency issues with your MP7,1 .

zhpenn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
I'm sorry , I don't know enough about ICCs to make any useful comments . But I cannot fathom why any ICC would cause such general latency issues with your MP7,1 .
It's ok, thanks a lot. I have use the Apple feedback assistant to report back to apple, but not sure if they will reply

Reactions: Kris Kelvin

Daverich4

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2020
It's ok, thanks a lot. I have use the Apple feedback assistant to report back to apple, but not sure if they will reply

Any chance you saved it as a V4 profile? Try making it again and saving it as a V2. V4 has never worked for everything and doesn’t really offer any benefit over V2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.