Displayed screen not using up enitre area

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by csmitty, Oct 28, 2007.

1. csmitty macrumors regular

I just noticed today in direct sunlight that the displayed springboard dosn't take up the entire screen area. It looks like there are a few columns of unused pixels on the right and some on the top and bottom. Its really strange and you can't really tell unless in sunlight. or atleast for me anyways. anyone else notice this?

2. joshi3joshi macrumors regular

yes i noticed it, and im pretty sure this is just the way it is

3. csmitty thread starter macrumors regular

Well mines a 38 so i might take it back to BB to see if i can get a later one and see if its different.

4. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Mines that way as well... I agree with 'its just the way it is'

also, I notice when the ipt is turned off that these same rows and columns of pixels are a different shade that the lit lcd. I dont know alot about lcd's but I assume that those rows and columns arent supposed to display things...

5. cwolves macrumors regular

There are no extra rows, it's just the edge of the LCD. If you look at almost any LCD, the edge beyond the display area looks similar to the rest of it because it's the same surface material, just no LCD grid behind it.

Also, the "hole" in the touch is cut noticeably larger than the display area, presumably due to allowable manufacturing defects, e.g. they cut it larger because the screen isn't always perfectly centered.