Displaying Formatted Text

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by amalshah71, Mar 20, 2009.

1. amalshah71 macrumors member

Hello,
    I have a requirement to show text in the following format...

TextHeading : Actual Text (in different Font)(could be multiple lines)

Had a look at UITextView....it seems it would not serve the purpose...it shows entire text with same properties throughout....

What could be the other option , besides having to write a custom component for it by extending UIView class...

Thanks
    amal

2. ghayenga macrumors regular

Either a UIWebView displaying HTML formatted text, or draw it yourself with the drawstring methods, which is much more complicated. HTML in a webView is the usual way to go.

3. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68040

PhoneyDeveloper

You could use two UILabels. You can draw the text yourself using the methods in UIStringDrawing.h in a UIView subclass. You can use a web view.

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

It's pretty lame that the iPhone supports CFMutableAttributedString but there is nothing to draw a UIString. If Core Text was public you could use that too, but it isn't. So UIWebView is really the only good alternative if you need more than the basics.

In an app I wrote we needed bold text right next to normal text. I just created two labels, sized them according to their fonts, and then placed them next to each other, everything being calculated dynamically. It's not hard, just annoying.