Displaying my 1080i footage on a 1080i screen using Macbook p

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Yveworth, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Yveworth macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone, I need some technical help.

I've recently gotten a job for a University. I'm shooting some videos on an HVX using 1080i. Now... I need to Display my final product as 1080i onto a 65'' Sharp 1080p HD television.

Will connecting my macbook pro to my HDTV via DVI work?

I assume not... SO I'm asking.... What will?

I found this adapter, wondering what your opinion is on it. Will it send my 1080i video on my computer to my LCD TV as 1080i ? Anyone know?

http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/ord...=01761&search=01761&rsite=pccables.com&rcode=

this one too

http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/ord...o=01712&search=HDMI&rsite=pccables.com&rcode=

Thanks in advance for your help, i can't seem to figure this out on my own

-drew

2. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

well i don't have an answer for you but monoprice is a great place to buy cables.

and i would definatly stay away from that adapter and then another cable.
    just go with the cables that are dvi to hdmi not the adapters.

if you find an answer i wouldn't mind knowing whats what

3. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

4. Yveworth thread starter macrumors newbie

I got the adpater that came with my Macbook pro so no problem.

will DVI transmit 1080i/1080p though? I thought i needed HDMI for that.

5. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

HDMI is just DVI plus audio. DVI will send a 1080p signal... or, more accurately, a 1920x1080 image.

irmongoose

6. Yveworth thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay so....

if I filmed something on my HV X as 1080i and then I hooked my macbook up to an LCD using one of these wires and then I played my footage fullscreen it should still be 1080i on the LCD display?

Thats all i really need to do

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Yes. Your computer will just treat your TV as a second monitor, so select resolution, etc. in the Displays menu in System Preferences.

irmongoose

8. Yveworth thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome.

Another quick question:

Are these LCD screens on macbook pros HD? When i watch my video i shot in HD it looks really nice on my macbook but is it really HD?? I bought my macbook in JULY so its just about the newest model.

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

HDMI -> DVI will not transmit audio. you will need to get a mini jack to RCA (white and red) cable.

yes they are HD but not full 1080 HD which is all the rage these days. MacBook screens have a resolution of 1280x800 and MacBook Pros 1440x900 which is more than 720p and less than 1080p.

so the video youre watching, either it be in a window or at full screen, is scaled down to accommodate the screen size (30% on a MacBook). assuming your video is actually 1080i it will display at full res on the 60" 1080p HD screen (but at 1080i).

10. Yveworth thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay so i got a question...

What makes my footage HD other than the resolution? Is it just better quality (HD) because its bigger!? There must be something else that I have worry about being transferred properly through the wire I buy.... or am i wrong?

11. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

It is just the resolution. You can still have really bad HD footage if you have a cheap camera or dont know how to use a good one.

HD means either 720p or 1080i/p. If you used an HDV camcorder, your footage will be 1440x1080, and will then be displayed as 1920x1080 on your TV.

In order to ensure you can view the full quality on the TV, make sure that you have the 1920x1080 resolution selected in the display preferences once you get your laptop attached to the TV.

Unless you have a 17'' Macbook Pro with the HD display, or a 24'' iMac, you wont be able to see the video in its native size on your computer.

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

dont you mean 1440x900 on the MacBook Pro's screen? if so then this is correct.

your footage will be true HD if it has a resolution of 1920x1080 i.e. 1080i/p (number of vertical pixels). because of the huge number of pixels a large file size will also accompany the video file.

let us know how you go. you could even ask questions here while your connecting it up at Uni… were very quick here ;).

13. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Hmmmm..... knowing that the MBP will send a progressive signal to the TV (1920 x 1080p) and knowing that when viewing 1920 x 1080i video on a computer monitor will show jaggered interlacing lines,

How does the TV handle this? Can it detect the interlacing and display it correctly? or would it treat it like any other monitor and look like crap still?

14. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

1080p TVs can display 1080i right? i think its just 1080i TVs can display 1080p.

15. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Coming from your MacBook Pro DVI port, the signal will be progressive RGB. And you don't want that. You want interlaced YCbCr.

If interlaced video is important to you... Do you still have access to the HVX? Blu-ray?

Incidentally, HD also has a different colour space to SD. But that shouldn't be an issue in any part of the chain you describe.

16. Yveworth thread starter macrumors newbie

ACtually i have a newer macbook pro and the screen resolution can get to 1920x1200... thought there is no 1920x1080 option... is this a problem or can is till view it correcttly?

You'll all VERY quick,thank you so much for that.

Oye.... Okay so now the DVI to HDMI wire won't work or will it still work i just need to change the color settings somewhere?

pretty much, my situation is that I have to hand them the edited footage and they are going to play it on a computer running to an LCD Display. I know the specs of the display but i have no idea what kind of computer they plan on using. Whats the best way to handle this? Should I just burn an BLUERAY DVD? But that opens up a whole other can of worms as I don't even know if my macbook can burn one. DO I need a special dvd burner or is the latest version of compressor and latest version of dvd studio pro enough? I have the superdrive.

this is my first job dong this and i'm so confused.

17. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Thats because laptops have a 16:10 aspect ratio, and TVs are 16:9. If you make the footage fullscreen on your laptop, you will have small black bars at the top and bottom. On the TV, it will really be full screen.

18. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

do you know what specs the Uni computer has? it might not even have a Blu-ray drive or even a DVI port? MacBooks dont have Blu-ray burners either.

i think the best thing you can do is bring along an HDMI-DVI adapter (also a DVI cord if you need it) and an audio cord and then play it off your hard drive with QuickTime Player.