Displaying PDFs in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hutchy, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Hutchy macrumors member

Hey. I hope this is a really easy one for you all!

I am trying to view PDFs in the safari window. I have the latest Safari and the latest Adobe reader. Pdfs always download and then load using the Adobe reader. I have done a google search but am unable to get Safari to load the files.

Could someone please help. I have an ever increasing folder of PDFs!!

Thank you very much.

Paul.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Disable Adobe's PDF Browser Integration, or uninstall Adobe Reader. By default Safari uses Preview's PDF engine to render PDFs in the browser. However, the newest version of Adobe (Acrobat) Reader will not allow the PDFs to load inline or within Safari, and instead force the use of the actual app.

TEG

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Try steps 3-4 of this:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=333545

I don't think you need to do steps 1-2.

EDIT: TEG, is that right? I was not aware of that... but then I do not use Acrobat on OS X much.

4. Hutchy thread starter macrumors member

Hi, I tried both uninstalling the Application but Safari then used 'preview' to open the PDF.

I also followed the second advice, re-installed and removed the plug-in, but still cant seem to get it to do what I want.

It seems that safari is simply ignoring this plug-in. (it is present in the folder)

5. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Make sure you're using Leopard - only works in Leopard.

There's an Apple Quick Tip #46 available from iTunes that explains how to use it.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No uninstalling is required! In the Adobe Reader preferences, under the Internet tab, uncheck "Display PDF in browser using." That's all. Now Safari will display PDFs inline. If you want to display downloaded PDFs in Preview, that's another issue, but also easily done.