Displaying tabular data

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by lantech27, Nov 7, 2012.

1. lantech27 macrumors newbie

I'm new to objective-c and IOS programming, but have a strong background in .Net and web applications.

I'm looking at the SDK and am wondering the best way to display large amounts of excel type data. Anywhere from 2 - 10 columns and a couple of hundred rows.

I have the data in an array in xcode, but the UITableViewController doesn't seem to do the trick.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. truehybridx macrumors member

A raw idea (meaning i haven't put a lot of thought into it) would be to subclass UITableView and have its cells be UITableViews as well...

Then again there might be a graphing type framework someone has already created to do that
    Maybe this? https://github.com/AlanQuatermain/AQGridView

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Without knowing more about the nature of the data to display, I would say the typical way to display something like this is a master-detail drill-down. Each row of the master (a UITableView) contains a differentiating summary of the row and, when tapped, pops down to a detail view containing all the fields pertaining to that item (i.e. row).

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Is this not exactly what UICollections were made for?

It's possible that I'm mistaken...

5. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Note: UICollectionView is only available in iOS 6.0 and later. If you're still trying to support iOS 5 or earlier, you can't use them.

7. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

According to the latest Chitika reports, iOS 6 had 61% adoption two weeks ago. Extrapolating from the data they used in this report, I estimate adoption is somewhere between 63% and 66% today.

And given your app will be released in the future, not today, adoption will be even higher still at that point.

And I don't have data to back this up, but I suspect that most people who download apps from the App Store also keep their devices up to date.

The Chitika report I got my data from:
    http://insights.chitika.com/2012/ios-6-adoption-one-month/

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Just thought I'd throw the iOS6 restriction out there, in case the OP had some requirement for supporting older OSes. I know that my newest version of a.k.a. (currently in beta-testing) is only going to support iOS6+.