Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teeceegee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Hello,

Apologies if this is obvious but I can't work it out and my searches have been fruitless.

I've ripped some TV shows (comedy series mostly), from my own DVDs, to put onto my iPad when travelling. All is fine except for one annoyance. When I open the Videos App and select TV Shows I get an image which corresponds to the show but nothing written underneath with the title of the series. I've fiddled about with all sorts of metadata in iTunes before syncing but just can't seem to work this one out.

Can someone suggest what needs to be populated for this to display?

Many thanks
TCG

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Hello,

Apologies if this is obvious but I can't work it out and my searches have been fruitless.

I've ripped some TV shows (comedy series mostly), from my own DVDs, to put onto my iPad when travelling. All is fine except for one annoyance. When I open the Videos App and select TV Shows I get an image which corresponds to the show but nothing written underneath with the title of the series. I've fiddled about with all sorts of metadata in iTunes before syncing but just can't seem to work this one out.

Many thanks
TCG

You've tried chaging these on the respective files?

Attachments

• tvinfo2.jpeg
    tvinfo2.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 77

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I just tried copying a TV episode I downloaded from iTunes onto the iPad, and no series title is displayed. I must conclude that the iPad video app doesn't display series titles. :confused:

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
The series title is not displayed on the thumbnails page but if you click on the thumbnail, it goes to a season page where it shows the series name and season name, plus the list of the episodes.

Make sure your artwork has the cover art so that the series is recognizable from the first screen. I actually alter the cover art to add a large number to indicate the season number for easier visibility.

My bigger beef is that you can't click on an episode and view the description of the episode, unlike movies where you get a nice summary screen you can read before watching the movie.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Have you tried MetaX? Its a program that lets you do more to the meta tags than iTunes. I've used it and it has made my importing experience a lot better.

AR15MBP

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
USA
Hello,

Many thanks
TCG

if you're talking about the video app in ipad, it will not show any metadata save for season if you have multiple seasons for a show. once you click on a tv show or movie, you will see the metadata displayed on its individual section. the picture icon is meant to represent the tv show or movie, so i made sure to have a movie poster for each movie, and a good icon for tv shows.

teeceegee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Thanks for the replies folks. It does seem an odd thing to do on Apple's part.

Cheers
Tony

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.