displaying uibarbuttonitem for one of controllers connected to tab bar controller

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by johnmerlino, Jun 13, 2012.

1. johnmerlino macrumors member

Hey all,

I have a tab bar controller and it rotates between for view controllers. Problem is for one of controllers, I want to display a uibarbuttonitem. But right now the button wont display, as all four controllers inherit the uinavigation item of the tab bar controller.

2. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

That is some of the vaguest question I have ever seen :)
    Try to post some code, what you did, what you try to do, what exactly goes wrong..

3. johnmerlino thread starter macrumors member

I'm using xcode storyboard 4.3. THe problem is I have a ui tab bar controller, with 4 tabs. I have a list view and the list view segues to the tab bar controller. Now automatically a back button displays on the ui navigation item of the tab bar controller. The problem is I tried adding a bar button item to one of the four controllers that has a relationship to the tab bar controller. I can visually see it added on the storyboard, but when I compile and run simulator, the bar button item is not there. It just has the back button to the list page for all four controllers that have a relationship to the tab bar controller.

Here's an image of what's happening:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2i13829.jpg

Notice that the storyboard shows the bar button item while the simular does not.

thanks for response

4. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Sorry, I don't use storyboards. I cannot help you in this case, but there will be some other forum members that can ;)

5. johnmerlino thread starter macrumors member

Ill just add a button to view

6. Quboid, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

Quboid macrumors 6502

I'm going to guess that the Navigation bar was not one that dragged in there but one that you automatically got from linking your view to a navigation controller. You can add the button using this code:
    Code:
     UIBarButtonItem *yourButton = [[UIBarButtonItem alloc]initWithTitle:NSLocalizedString(@"yourButtonName", "something") style:UIBarButtonItemStyleDone target:self action:@selector(yourActionMethod)];
    self.navigationItem.rightBarButtonItem = yourButton;
    Throw this into your viewDidLoad delegate.

Apples documentation is one of the best I've ever seen, you might want to give it a whirl :)

7. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

That is for ARC project, don't forget to do [yourButton release]; after assigning if you are in a non ARC project.