DisplayOut Orientation Issue w/ Netflix

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by denpashonen, Nov 21, 2010.

1. denpashonen macrumors newbie

Installed DisplayOut (v1.3.2) on 3GS using the official component AV cable. The mirroring function works fantastically except for the one app I installed this package for in the first place... :(
    Strangely, when I run the Netflix app (v1.1.2) to stream content and attempt to mirror it to an external monitor, everything works fine through the "red" Netflix screen w/ the "Loading Movie" heading, but as soon as the movie starts, the content shifts couterclockwise 90 degrees with the image squished into portrait orientation whilst everything else (Status Bar, Netflix controls like 'Play', 'Volume', etc.) are all still in the landscape orientation.
    The DisplayOut is set with "Follow Interface" set for 'Orientation' and "Preserve" set for 'Aspect Adjust', but I've iterated playback with all the setup options to resolve this issue, but to no avail.
    It appears to me that the issue maybe with the most current version of the Netflix app, as most other comments on DisplayOut on the web appears to be that this combination works.
    Anyone else experiencing this?

2. earthmonster macrumors newbie

I experience this same thing. I'm using a 3GS with the latest versions of both Netflix and DisplayOut using the official Apple composite cable.

Unfortunately I haven't figured out a solution other than removing DisplayOut and downloading TVOutTuner. It was a loss of ~$3 but the dev of DisplayOut also is the dev for Activator, which I use all the time. I think of it as a ~$3 support in favor of Activator and I don't really mind.

3. denpashonen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I'll try the TVOutTuner. From what I see, it's actually the TVOut2Mirror on Cydia is the package I need to install, correct? This is a SBSettings toggle that will also install the TVOutTuner hack.

I don't mind spending the 2~3 bucks on these hacks either. I'll gladly pay for the functionality.:D

4. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

why are you running any of these hacks ?

the newest version of Netflix outputs video natively

uninstall all your video hacks, and just run netflix normally

5. denpashonen, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

denpashonen thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using 3GS. Video out function is supported on the iPad, iPhone 4 and the new iPod Touch only.

6. Evgenyy macrumors regular

You have probably tried this already but make sure your orientation lock is not on when you are running Netflix. If it is on, the UI might be ok in the landscape mode but the video will be stuck in portrait.

7. scirica, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B334b Safari/531.21.10)

I just tested Netflix without any video hacks and it works great! Didn't even realize the native functionality existed. Now if only Hulu+ implemented the same capability I would not need any video hacks .

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Hulu+ does work with iOS 4.2 and Airplay (at least audio). I don't have an AppleTV to test video streaming though.

9. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Just to clarify, are you saying Hulu+ on iOS 4.2 displays on a television display over Apple cables?