Displayport Adapter Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by T3AR5, Jun 13, 2012.

1. T3AR5 macrumors newbie

Hi
    I bought a Displayport-to-HDMI-Adapter and it works just fine, but from time to time the second Screen turns black for like 3secs and than works fine again for some time.
    I have the Macbook Air 2011 with Thunderbolt and I tried different Adapters including the iWires one from the Applestore.
    I don´t know what to do against it and it really sucks when watching a movie or presenting a paper at university..
    Thanks for your help! =)

2. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

It's almost certainly the adaptor itself...they are not all the same when it comes to quality...Many swear by the Moshi from the Apple store, or the Monster, but I thought I'd try a cheapie first....Mine is a Neet from Amazon...Works perfectly on all three of my Macs, and outputs sound and vision perfectly...That's where some of them fall over...When it comes to sound and vision. FWIW:

I can't find the Neet on the US store, but there are plenty there:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...field-keywords=neet+mini+display+port+adaptor

3. T3AR5 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your reply, but mine works fine..there is just like every 15min a black screen for 3secs and not all the time and I have that problem with 3 different adapters..
    could it be that the thunderboltport isn't working correctly? or something like that

4. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Hmm. Three different adaptors? I think I'd give Apple a call and get your Mac checked out.

5. T3AR5 thread starter macrumors newbie

mhm ok.. I hoped there would be a solution like with the color-issue where you just have to replace a file in the system folder.. :/

6. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Not that I know of offhand...Worth giving them a call. If you'd only had the one adaptor I'd say it was odds on....Are the adaptors all the same make? If so, it might be an idea to try a different brand, or borrow one from a buddy?

7. T3AR5 thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried the iWires mDP to Hdmi, one from XFX and a noname one.
    the xfx provided a hdmi slot while the iwires has a build in hdmi-cabel.
    they´re from 3 different brands that´s why i think it might be the mac :/
    i´ll call apple later when i´m home and see what i can do against it..

8. T3AR5 thread starter macrumors newbie

for some unknown reason i can´t call the support o_O when i dial the number nothing happens, but all other numbers work just fine -.-

so i still need help :/

9. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Where do you live?...Apple support numbers are working fine AFAIK

10. T3AR5 thread starter macrumors newbie

in germany.. i don´t really get it either.. i´ll just try again tomorrow if i´m still stuck at this problem..

11. T3AR5 thread starter macrumors newbie

hi
    support couldn´t help either...
    if noone has a solution than i might just have to live with it..

12. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I guess about the only thing you could try is a fresh install of Lion. Depends n how much it bugs you really. With ML only weeks away as well, might be worth a shot.

13. T3AR5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I'll just live with it or wait till ML is released and try if it is fixed