Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I'm trying to figure out how the Thunderbolt connector can be used to split into two monitors.

I'm asking because I have a Mac Mini (late 2012, i5 2.5GHz) which has an HDMI and a Thunderbolt connector. One 24" Dell U2415 (1920x1200 pixels) is currently attached to the Thunderbolt connector using a Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.
If I'm not mistaken I can attach the second monitor (same type as the existing monitor) by using the same Thunderbolt connector, but through an adapter which splits it into two connectors (thereby allowing for two separate monitors to be used). Is this correct?
Which adapter is this?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It wouldn't be called a splitter. You can't split digital signals the same way you can analog signals. You would want something called a dock or hub, and they are going to cost you $200-$300 and will be difficult to find because the newer devices are all Thunderbolt 3.

It would be a lot cheaper to connect the second display to the Mini's HDMI port.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
TB3 to dual DP adapters definitely exist (I have one) but I’m not sure about TB1/2 - they may not carry enough bandwidth? (Although if both displays are ~2K you might be fine)

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I'm confused, or have misunderstood that two monitors could somehow be attached to the single Mac Mini Thunderbolt output.
The specs of our late 2012 Mac Mini don't mention if it's TB 1, 2 or 3 but I suppose it's not 3.

If I attach one of the monitors to the HDMI output, won't that limit the resolution compared to that of the DisplayPort/Thunderbolt output? We were hoping to set up two monitors with the same resolution as now (1920x1200), as two windows ("Extended desktop"?).

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Thunderbolt devices can be daisychained. But those Dell displays aren't Thunderbolt. They have DisplayPort and Mini DisplayPort inputs, along with HDMI.

The Dell displays are 1920 x 1200. You can attach one display to your Thunderbolt port and the other to your HDMI port. Both will display full resolution. In System Preferences > Displays you choose whether to use them as an extended desktop (default) or have them both display the same thing.

So all you need is an HDMI cable and you're good to go.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Sounds good!
By the way, the Dell U2415 manual states "HDMI (MHL)" and I see there are two of them on the monitor (labelled "HDMI (MHL) 1" and "HDMI (MHL) 2").

Should I be concerned about Mac compatibility or are these basically regular HDMI connectors?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.