DisplayPort daisy chaining on 2011 MacBook Pro

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Assuming one is using compatible monitors (like Dell U2515H) that support daisy chaining via DisplayPort, can an Early 2011 15" MacBook Pro drive two displays in a daisy chain?

What I'm thinking is:
MBP -> mDP-DP-cable -> 1st compatible monitor -> DP-mDP-cable (or just DP-DP) -> 2nd compatible monitor.

I know it can drive two Apple Thunderbolt Displays in a daisy chain, and they are the same resolution as the Dell above, but I'm not sure if the same is true of DisplayPort monitors.

bits

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2015
I tried to do that (Eizo + Dell). Only got a mirror monitors (with lid closed). I couldn't get anything else.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I tried to do that (Eizo + Dell). Only got a mirror monitors (with lid closed). I couldn't get anything else.
- That's too bad. It's probably due to the too old DisplayPort standard in the MBP not supporting MST.

Incidentally, do you know which DP version is implemented in the Thunderbolt 1 output?

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
thunderbolt doesn't support daisy chaining over displayport for some reason.

Quasselstripper

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2016
Southern Germany
That's exactly what I am seeing right now on my monitors. Has there been any progress on this?
I am using the latest macOS Sierra version, like 10.12.3.
[doublepost=1488500161][/doublepost]
- Not even on newer Macs with DisplayPort 1.2 support like the Retina MacBook Pros?
Newer Macs all support DP 1.2. You can prove this by booting into Windows using bootcamp, which is working fine. Only macOS is showing this weird mirrored second/third screen :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.