Displayport on 2013 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by johnhackworth, Sep 21, 2012.

1. johnhackworth macrumors member

Hi,

I have a 2009 Mac Pro with two 23" aluminium displays. I'd like to (initially) replace them with a single Apple 27" display. I'd then probably add a further 27" display at some point after that. Since no extant Mac Pros support Thunderbolt I'll have to buy the Displayport version of the display.

So, my question is - is it remotely feasible for Apple to ship a 2013 version of the Mac Pro without Displayport support?

Best Regards,

Julian.

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

They will most likely ship the 2013 with Thunderbolt which is backwards compatible with Displayport (since it carries Displayport along with the Thunderbolt data)....

Edit: However, to your question about "is it remotely".... Anything is remotely possible. Likely? probably not since Apple moved its entire PC lineup (with the exception of the Mac Pro) to Thunderbolt. I can't imagine them dropping Displayport without upgrading the Mac Pro to Thunderbolt in the next revision.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

DisplayPort is the standard for computer monitors going forward so yes it will be on future Mac graphics cards.