Displayport to VGA question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thomasp, Oct 23, 2008.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

A quick question about the DisplayPorts and available adapters on the MacBook Pro...

If I wanted to hook a new MacBook Pro up to either a DVI-equipped monitor or an older VGA-equipped projector (for example), to save buying two different adapters, could I buy the DisplayPort --> DVI connector with the MBP and then use the DVI --> VGA adapter I've got kicking around with my old PowerBook, and plug the DVI --> VGA into the DP --> DVI connector?

2. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Yes, that should work.

However, you might want to note that this could mean a decrease in quality. (Not too sure in this case)
    The more cables, the more adapters and the more converters the signal has to go through, the weaker and worse it gets.

3. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. Just trying to see how much money I can save if I do buy a new MBP, as I'd likely need both DVI and VGA capabilities, and if I can only spend £20 on adapters instead of £40, it makes all the difference :D

4. donbenjy macrumors 6502

NO! it won't work...I checked i store yesterday, and the DP -> DVI adaptor is missing the analogue pins! Not very happy, as this means in the long run I need to buy 3 adaptors instead of 1 :mad:

5. statbit macrumors newbie

I found out after opening the DP->DVI adapters that Apple shipped that they were not going to work at the office, where I have only VGA monitors.

Fortunately, the Apple store near me had the DP->VGA.

The annoying part is that it's been $160 on adapters for the display port (as I have a 30" cinema at home). IMO Apple is welcome to change to new and better ports, but as most people have DVI or VGA monitors, including the adapters would have softened the landing.

6. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I'm going to have to do the same thing. I have a 30" ACD at home that I might want to use it with sometimes (its usually on my Mac Pro) but I also need to have VGA output ability to display on projectors for talks. Honestly, I think the adapter stuff from Apple is just plain insulting and blatant money grabbing. A simple adapter allowing both dual-dvi and vga only costs about $10 tops to manufacture yet they vastly over-exaggerate the prices and make you buy two different cables. I'm hoping that since mini-displayport is apparently an 'industry standard' unlike the mini-dvi ports on the previous MacBooks etc, some clever people in Hong Kong will get their soldering kits out and create some cheapo adapters for sale on eBay. DVI over Displayport is a passthrough technology after all. No special chips, co complicated stuff, its just wire to wire.

Edit: I just noticed that the mini display port adapters cost 33% more than the mini dvi adapters do. Excluding the dual dvi adapter of course, that one's 360% more expensive. Nice.