Displays: Glossy or Not?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nosey313, Dec 9, 2007.

1. nosey313 macrumors member

In my quest for a first Apple purchase in January (YEAH!), I've come across a few things that need further research. Here's a question for ya'll in Mac Peripherals. Glossy or non-glossy screens? I'll be using my purchase for home use, as well as a new side business doing some video work and web design. What do you think?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Basically it is whatever you personally prefer. Which computer do you plan to buy? the iMacs and macbooks you don't have a choice with. the Macbook Pros are the only ones you have the choice on.

My advice would be to go into the tore and try out using the glossy for a few minutes, the glossy may not bother you, or you could be like me and have the glossy screens bother your eyes.

3. nosey313 thread starter macrumors member

MacBook Pro, 24" iMac, or a Mac Pro (w/ACD or Dell, I think). I like glossy displays, but I don't know how it affects design work.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

for web design most people won't have their monitors calibrated properly anyway so the glossy shouldn't mess it up. So if you like glossy go with that if you get the MBP and have a choice.

5. WannaBMW3 macrumors regular

WannaBMW3

Exactly what he said...I just ordered my MBP with a matte display because I went into the store and compared them side by side and the glare was just too much for me on the glossy (even when the guys turned down the brightness)...so plus I'm a DJ who'll be using it in clubs and stuff so I need the glare to be minimal..."

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You'll probably be fine with the glossy. For photo work, most people (including myself) prefer matte displays.