Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamcheerful

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
With the recent addition of the 27" iMacs which can double as an external Apple Display (links to a MR user here who shared his/her setup with 2x24"+27" Apple Displays) ... I believe this may be a video graphic card which, most if not all, professional users will appreciate.

Even an everyday user may consider such a card if the price is within budget which currently isn't. It isn't targeted at gamers who need every ounce of performance though.

It appears to be geared towards Apple since it debuted with onboard DisplayPorts. However, it should be noted on their specs page that the system requirements currently do not list any version of Mac OSes. Matrox do list Linux support though. Do note that they didn't leave out regular DVI users. Direct Link for more details on the specs.

This card scored a new record as it is able to manage simultaneously up to 8 displays. I features 1 or 2 GB of VRAM and is installed on a PCI Express 16x slot."

9188.jpg

Source:
Hardmac (English Version of MacBidouille)
Macbidouille (French)
Matrox M9188

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
It looks similar to the ATI HD 5870 Eyefinity6. Both are aimed at extremely high resolutions with multi monitor displays or QuadHD.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
It looks similar to the ATI HD 5870 Eyefinity6. Both are aimed at extremely high resolutions with multi monitor displays or QuadHD.

My impression is this is aimed at that while the 5870, as a by product of being so powerful can do it. This seems more akin to the Quadro NVS 400s, which support quad displays currently, but are low power. I doubt you will find many businesses adopting the 5870 for a critical business solution, but a home user should be looking at the 5870.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
2000$? Not competitive if you ask me.

For the same price you can get 4 5870s and hook up 24 displays of the same size.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
It appears to be geared towards Apple since it debuted with onboard DisplayPorts. However, it should be noted on their specs page that the system requirements currently do not list any version of Mac OSes. Matrox do list Linux support though.

nothing is geared towards apple cause it has displayport.

it's an open standard.

don't expect the matrox for macs at all.

I doubt you will find many businesses adopting the 5870 for a critical business solution, but a home user should be looking at the 5870.

So in what way is the Matrox more stable? technically?
and the 5870 six is for home users?
home users with need of 6 screens? right ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.