Displays that closely match the Retina MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thegreatdivorce, May 6, 2014.

1. thegreatdivorce macrumors regular

I'm currently using one of the matte aluminum Apple Cinema Displays as a second monitor for my rMBP, primarily for photo editing. I'm calibrating both with a Syper4Pro, which ostensibly means both are accurate.

Problem is they don't come close to matching. The Retina screen is noticeably warm/magenta, and the ACD is more yellow/green. It's driving me batty, despite my prints looking fine.

Anyone using the rMPB - what display most closely matches it? I'm thinking of getting an Apple LED Cinema Display (don't want the Thunderbolt one, as I need it to work with my gaming PC, which doesn't have a TB port) ... would that match the Retina screen well enough? Any experienced opinions are appreciated.

2. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Well, I use the HP ZR2740w 27 inch monitor, and it matches pretty closely.

It's a higher-end IPS panel, and technically displays more colors than any of Apple's displays. I'm not a print worker, so I don't know how accurate it really is for that purpose, though.

IMO, it's probably the best display you can get for its cost.

3. tmoerel macrumors 6502

I am using an Apple thunderbolt display (27") next to my 15" rMBP. I have calibrated with and X-Rite I1 profiler and both screens are now near identical.

I was using a Spyder3 Pro before and got no were near as close. Spyders are not that great in my opinion.

4. 5to1 macrumors regular

If you have an Apple store nearby, take your laptop and Spyder with you and have a play with their displays. However, even if you do find one that matches (after calibration), you can't be certain the one out of the box will be exactly the same (theres always the possibility of some variation). Therefore, I'd go further, buy in store (once your sure the display model suits your requirements) and check it before taking it home.