Display's to ACD or not to ACD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MaximusNL, Apr 20, 2008.

1. MaximusNL macrumors newbie

This is my first time since my subscription many months ago to post a first topic on the MacRumors:forums. Feels kind of special :p

In a couple of weeks time I'm planning to buy a new Apple with a new monitor. The Apple will be the MacBook Pro 17" with hi-res screen and the 200gb 7200rpm drive.

My point of doubt concerns the new monitor. There are two contestants for the price: the Apple Cinema Display 30" and the Dell 3008WFP. At this moment the jury can't decide which to buy :p Next is a list to sum up my pro's and con's for the displays:

Apple Cinema Display 30"
    + Gorgeous display
    + High quality screen
    + Everything integrated in one cable

- Fairly old (no recent updates)
    - Only one input-port

Dell 3008 WFP
    + Sleek design
    + Many inputports including the new displayport
    + 1080p over DVI / HDMI / Display port and component

- Just not so pretty as the 30" ACD :rolleyes:
    - Quite shiny monitor stand

I have read quite some reviews of both screens. The main reason to go for the 3008 WFP is because I can plugin my PS3 which is now connected to my 26" HDTV (720p).

Friends are telling me that 1080p at a distance of 1m from the display of 30" isn't a big improvement. Furthermore the 3008WFP needs to uscale 1080p to the fullresolution of the screen and the scretch (16:9 output and a 16:10 screen).

If this is true the only benefit of the 3008WFP is the many input options. Although I don't think I would plugin many more than just my new to buy MacBook Pro.

Can anyone help the jury with deciding which monitor to buy? The price difference between the two isn't important for choosing one of the two.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

To be honest, you won't go far wrong with either screen. I've tended to buy Dell screens simply because I find the additional inputs useful, but the ACDs feel better made and some will say that they have better colour fidelity (personally I don't think there's enough in it to be worth worrying about).

Personally, if I didn't need the secondary input, I'd go for the ACD - but I'm not going to argue too hard with anyone who prefers the other option.

Sorry, guess I'm no help at all :p

3. MaximusNL thread starter macrumors newbie

Well your post outlines my opinion quite well :p

The main decision concerns of the 1080p input for the 3008WFP. If that is better than my JVC lcdtv (stretched and pumped-up to the max resolution) than the decision is made for the 30" Dell but when this isn't noticeable better than the ACD is my new monitor.

(I want to apologise for any spelling issue's, my English isn't that great)

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

hehe - sorry about that :p

Well, your friends are correct - at 1m there's not going to be a massive difference at 1080p once the display has upscaled it - there will be a difference, but not a big one.

Frankly, if it was me it would be down to the extra inputs - which, given that none of my other hardware would benefit from the high resolution - would result in a win for the ACD.

Frankly, I've been considering this one myself - I have a 17" MBP hi-res and have been using it with a 20" Dell widescreen display, which is shared with an old G4 server. It's time to buy a better screen (as I do a lot of graphic design and the MBP is my primary computer) and the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to go for the ACD...

5. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

OP, you said it all basically.

Since you already have a 26" TV for your PS3, you don't really need another viewing source for it. Moreover like you said, 1080p at a distance of 1m from the display of 30" isn't a big improvement, so what's the point right when you can sit comfortably at a distance from the 26" and have a better view?

If you are facing space constraint that go ahead and get the Dell 3008. If not, use the TV for PS3 to do what you really want it to do. Then ask yourself what would you expect from your monitor? There are many reviews on both monitors and currently the Dell 3008 has been discontinued (I've not researched why it was so, but I heard it over this board and elsewhere). I would personally go for the 30" ACD despite the lack of inputs because I don't need all these fancy lil inputs. I have my Sony Bravia for that.

If I'm you, I'll google all the reviews, evaluate my monitor needs and decide which to get. I'm biased so my advice on which monitor to get is not objective.

6. cube macrumors G5

7. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

3008 are for those with multiple-hole fetish.

8. MaximusNL thread starter macrumors newbie

tersono and orpheus1120 many thanks for your input. Also the cube for bringing a smile on my face :p

I think my next monitor is going to be the 30" ACD. I'm just waiting for the upcomming WWDC for a possible update mainly because the displays aren't updated since march 06.

9. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Cube!! :D

I'm waiting till June's WWDC to see if there's any updates on the ACDs too. I think it would be safe to say buying the ACD after that with/without an update will at least leave me with no regrets since I've done everything in my power to at least wait 2 months for an annoucement in WWDC. So even if an update happens down the road after a purchase, I'll live to know I've done my best.

10. -Alan- macrumors member

Exactly, that's why I have dual ACDs. Coming from nearly 20 years of using a PC, I just don't want to be reminded every time I look at my displays. Just say no to "DELL" spelled out boldly on the bezel. Give me aluminum with a shiny :apple:.

:D