Displays under $250 with good color accuracy

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nehas91, Dec 30, 2014.

1. nehas91 macrumors member

Hello all,

I'm looking for recommendations to buy an external monitor to hook up to my MBP (2009). The main reason for my purchase is to use it for creating graphics and Photoshop work so the colors need to be accurate. (I had a LG Flatron 2351 and the colors on it compared to my MBP were horrible and very washed out and it was a pain to work on). I'm not sure what else specifications I need to look for.

My budget is up to $250. Is a good IPS monitor possible with that budget? I don't need too many fancy ports..just as long as the monitor allows me to achieve my main requirement (Photoshop & color accuracy) without too many problems.

What do you recommend?

Thank you in advance!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

3. Chuck Rodent macrumors member

Chuck Rodent

You will spend almost that much on a color calibrator let alone a monitor. Unless you already have the calibrator, I think your price range needs to be higher. I have some older Dell IPS monitors that were not nearly accurate enough for photo color rendition or evenness on screen. To attempt to print from these screens would be hit and miss to get what you want.

4. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

The HP 23xi is well-priced and pretty good for the money. There are a few reports of failures just after the 12 month warranty, so the 3-year Square Trade warranty Amazon offers for $17 may be a good deal. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B3FTM7S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Having said that, you really can't go wrong with Monoprice's units. Great little company, and their high-end panel is the same as what Dell sells for much more money.

5. nehas91 thread starter macrumors member

This is the monitor I had before http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/lg-flatron-e2351-p11664/test.html.
    I won't be printing the art/graphics so it doesn't need to be extremely top of the range. I will only be creating artwork for online purposes.
    Is there possibility of a monitor that I don't have to buy a color calibrator for but that will still provide good colors out of the box (at least better than the LG e2351)?

6. Chuck Rodent macrumors member

Chuck Rodent

Can't help you with a specific monitor. With a calibrator you will be sure that what you design will match with someone else's calibrated monitor. Otherwise matching your color choices will be random alignment. At least take care of your end of the process. It matters more for me on photos than graphical design.

7. carmona macrumors newbie

If you want accurate colors, there is no way around a color calibrator like Spyder/ColorMunki.

8. nehas91 thread starter macrumors member

I apologize if I was difficult to understand. I will only be using the monitor for web/online publishing. The artwork I will make will only be put on websites like DeviantArt, Behance, etc. Anything that is best for publishing photoshop work online that's in the $200-$280 range would be appreciated.

9. qcmacmini macrumors 6502

I bought a Dell U2414H because it's said to have pretty good accuracy and performance, but it's not a professional grade monitor. It's colour resolution is limited and like others have said above, your price range doesn't allow for those monitors.

10. carmona macrumors newbie

Well the Spyder4PRO, which is a pretty good tool to start with (I work with it myself) is below that budget.

11. larrysing1963 macrumors regular

This one rates highly everywhere it is reviewed

If you can go right up to the top of your limit, around $280, you can get this monitor:

ASUS PA248Q 24-Inch LED-Lit IPS Professional Graphics Monitor

Most reviews give it great scores for color accuracy, and it performs well on most tests. As a plus, it does 1920x1200, which gives you more pixels at the bottom (a taller image) which means less scrolling than a 1080p monitor.

The photo mags rate it up there with monitors costing three times as much.

Best of luck !!

12. nehas91 thread starter macrumors member

Hey buddy,
    Thanks for that suggestion. I was actually looking at this monitor and the two dells, U2415 and U2515...do you have any comments on those?

13. larrysing1963 macrumors regular

Those are both newer than the Asus, and I think they both cost more. I don't know much about either, sorry.