Displays wont go to sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dlewis23, Oct 18, 2009.

1. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

I'm having a problem with my displays and them going to sleep.

It just started yesterday and I can't figure out why. The computer will go to sleep just fine after 15 min of no activity, but the display will not, it just sits at a black screen.

If I put the computer to sleep my self using command + option + eject the display goes to sleep as it should.

Does anyone why this happens or how to fix it.

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 with a 7300GT.

Thanks

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you go to System Preferences>Energy Saver, what does it say under Display Sleep?

3. dlewis23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Both sliders are at 15 minutes.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you set the Display Sleep to 1 minute and then wait a minute, does the display go to sleep? And if you have another account (or created another account), does the same problem occur in the other account?

5. dlewis23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It does the same problem for both setting the display sleep to 1 minute, and a test user account.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That's odd, so it is either a system wide problem or a problem with the display. Do you have another display that you can test with the computer?

7. dlewis23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

At the moment I do not have another display to test with the computer, but Ive used it on my Macbook pro and have never had a problem with the display going to sleep on its own.

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you've tested it on the MacBook Pro since it started to act up and it worked correctly, then something must have happened on the Mac Pro to cause this change. What programs/updates have been recently installed on the Mac Pro?

9. dlewis23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The only thing I recently installed was iLife 09 and iPhone dev tools (xcode, iPhone sim. ect.)