Dissable password.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xoggyux, Dec 4, 2008.

1. xoggyux macrumors 6502

Hi, im kinda new in mac and im wondering how could i dissable the annoying "password asking" screen? since im an student and dont have nothing important that i would like to protect, and anyway it will ask me password for every time i want to install something or even when the computer returns from sleep the program "smcfancontrol" ask me password.
    Thanks for your help.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

To stop it asking when the computer wakes up or when coming out of the screensaver, take a look in System Preferences/Security. There's a tick box in there that disables whether or not it asks you for a password in these situations.

I'm not aware of a way to disable it from asking for the password when installing stuff, though.

3. xoggyux thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, i have that password dissabled yet when it comes out of sleep mode some programs (e.g. scmfancontrol) will ask me for the password (not the system) its a bit annoying since i put my computer to sleep like 20 times a day.:(

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

smcFanControl shouldn't ask you for your password every time. Are you running the newest version?

And there's no way to turn off authentication. If you try to do something outside of your home folder, you need to authenticate, since you are messing with someone else's folders (probably root's). Some stuff, like installing programs, you can get around by using an Admin account, which has limited privelges above those of the typical user. You'll still need to give your password for most things though. All it really does is remove the need to give a password to install an app, and it auto-fills in your username for some other things.

The only real way to get around it is to log in as root, which is NOT recommended. Because:

A: Anything can run and effect anything else without your knowing it.

B: The computer will follow ANY order you give it without question, even if it is something absurdly dumb, like "Delete /System"

5. xoggyux thread starter macrumors 6502

i guess im screwed, well i will just change my password to something short like "a" or or "b" :D

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

That is no way "annoying" or "screwed". It's call security because it's doing an operation with the system thus it needs the ADMIN password.

Just one app not saving the password should not result in reducing the overall security. Why don't you open keychain, delete the keychain item of the app, and try reenter it again?

Please don't come crying if you, the user, installed some "video codec" from some shady site and blame it on the OS.

7. xoggyux thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand, however i think the OS should give the OPTION not just force me to put password no matter what, for example, im the only one that access my computer and i wont erase nothing by mistake, in the other hands even if my computer would get into someone's else's hands i still dont have anything that i would mind someone else not to see. Let me try to explain, the only stuff i keep in my computer are some school projects that i dont even care if someone else see them.

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

It does. It's called logging in as root. If you feel like using it, go ahead. But there are good reasons why there is a nearly 40 year old tradition of NOT DOING THAT. For more info, check this out:

http://www.linfo.org/root.html

If, after all that, you still feel need to do this, here's how to enable it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1528

I can't stress enough that this IS NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!! Like that article mentions, people coming form OS's like Windows are often not used to the *nix way of handling permissions, but, to be honest, the way you did things before was both unsafe for daily use, and annoying and restrictive for administrating tasks.

9. mAc-warrior macrumors member

mAc-warrior

It seems to me that the OP is specifically not concerned about other people viewing their files, and wishes to compute without the annoyance of a password.

However, what he/she does not realize is that the password is there to maintain the integrity of the operating system's security, NOT to protect his/her files from viewing by others.

Circumventing the primary mechanism by which security from outside threats is obtained on any computer is, as stressed by the last poster, NOT A GOOD IDEA!

To the OP: Your files are already out there in the open to anyone who opens your computer if you've disabled the password prompt upon waking from sleep. The password prompts upon installation of apps are there to stop malicious programs from being able to install themselves without your knowledge! This is the way viruses work on Windows, and one of the primary reasons that Macs are not susceptible like Windows is! You do not want to get around this. Period. The root user is NOT to be used on a daily basis.

--mAc