Dissapointed by how easy it is to setup my new MBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thesmoth, Jun 27, 2009.

1. thesmoth macrumors 6502

This sounds REALLY weird, but did anyone else get a bit nostalgic when they first got their mac about how hard it is to do things on PC sometimes?

I've been a bit of a PC nerd my whole life. I've always been the one who fixed my family and friends computers, tinkered with downloaded games software, overclocked, etc... I always really enjoyed a new projected because of all of the research and work it would entail, and then because I knew I was working towards the end product that I wanted.

I got my new 13" MBP yesterday and just sat down with it tonight for the first time, and in about 5 hours i've installed about a dozen big programs, made a boot camp partition, and i'm finishing installing windows 7 right now...

I've already customized a ton of things and got a great screen calibration from the forums... What now? I actually have to USE it to do things? But I used to spend so much time tinkering with PC's to get them to do what I wanted, I had usually lost interest in my original goal by the time that i finished. I had a lot of fun doing those things though a learned a lot...

By the by, this thread is only sort of joking. I do actually miss doing that stuff.

Well on a serious note, I have VM fusion and I'm installing windows 7. So I will load windows 7 like normal, download antivirus and updates and stuff, and then install the programs that I want, and THEN if I need to use those programs I can run them through OSX without rebooting by using VM fusion? Is this right?

Is parallels good too?

I installed endnote X2, chembiodraw 11, MS office, photoshop, dreamweaver, transmission, skype, coconut battery, and adobe acrobat pro 9... What am I missing? Anything else I need?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yep, that's right!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Why create a post on how nice and easy it is to set up a Mac then install Windows and do the antivirus thing and VMware and so on....What's the point in buying a Mac if you're turning it into something that you spent ours fixing as you mentioned?:rolleyes: Did you buy it to use it as a Mac or a Windows machine. Sounds like you didn't even use it for one day as a real Mac before installing the dark side. What a waste.

4. thesmoth thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm installing it because for work I may need to use some windows programs (hopefully not), so I created a small windows partition that i'm getting ready now just in case. I have time right now to do this and that is why I am. If i'm at work one day and I have something critical I need to get done with windows, I want to have it all setup and ready to rock. I don't plan on using windows very often, if at all. So far OSX is great.

5. aphan macrumors member

6. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

Because there are some of us that want the flexibility of having PC and windows in one machine and the power to do work equally well in one box. Duh.

Macs are cool but not all programs run on them and there are folks out there who only produce software specifically for Windows based platform and working with them well is a must if you are doing it for work purposes - these things are issues that exists outside your fan-boy bubble and folks deal with in the real world.

@OP: i don't miss fidgeting endlessly with tweaking machines but it is good to know that I can do what I need to do on a windows machine and a mac equally well. if i don't have to fight with setting up a machine, cool, less work for me. after all, i do aim to streamline everything on my machines so I don't have to fidget so much and get do to doing what matters: work. first thing i do on EVERY machine is wipe it clean of all extra BS - a machine, mac or PC, is there to do work and I could give two sh*ts about the fancy graphics greeting me hello in a gazillion languages.

ive been using macs since the SE days along side PCs and what I do notice is that a bulk of apple users are not as open to breaking into the "hood" of machines as readily as PC users are accustomed to doing, a nature of the beast when working with macs, i guess, but hey, not everyone can be lee7.

7. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

:rolleyes:

8. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Don't worry about him, or anyone else. Reasonable people understand that many people still need windows programs for work, or just because the software is only available on windows.

9. yargk macrumors member

Seriously?

Although I don't think this post deserves a response, I guess it's necessary considering at least one person thinks this way. There exist apps that may be work or play related for which there is no mac version. Also, I'm sure many people either coming from PCs or with PCs in the family have PC versions of software and don't want to buy the software a second time just to get it to work in OS X.

I'm still using an old dell laptop, but my next computer will be a mac. Why? Well for day to day things I'd rather be on OS X. Also for work related stuff I'd like to install some UNIX programs and luckily OS X has XCODE. However, I'll also have Ubuntu and win7 on my mac because I'll actually probably need them. If a mac didn't have this versatility I'd have to just get another PC and dual boot Ubuntu and win7. :apple:

10. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

i feel you bro... i kind of mis windows xp and ive only been on this mac for a couple of weeks... maybe ill install xp later on

11. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

One word: games. All of the major game titles are coded in Direct X, and not in Open GL. Therefore, to convert the games, it would take years, only to find out that the game has been forgotten by the general population. I have set aside 100GB for Windows Vista, only I removed the Windows Aero kernel and I just run with an almost safe-mode OS. Just purely for games, with a black Windows 2000 theme, black wallpaper, and 2D icons.

12. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Agreed

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Me i'm glad its easy to setup. I had 160GB of data on my previous laptop and seamlessly transferred everything over through migration assistant via ethernet in about 4 hours. No hassle.

14. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

How do you do this?

eV

15. tdream macrumors 65816

I had the same experience moving from uMB to MBP. The experience was seamless and effortless. This is one area where Microsoft are well and truly trounced. All my files, apps, and settings were transferred over. Time Machine and migration assistant are amazing. Props to Apple.