Dissapointed with Magic Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pazz, Dec 5, 2011.

1. pazz macrumors regular

I purchased a magic mouse two weeks ago and I am extremely disappointed with how it performs.

I have had nothing but jittery, laggy cursor movement since day 1. I've read the support article found here and have attempted to eliminate every potential source of intereference except my 2.4GHz WiFi network. But with no success.

I purchased the magic mouse to replace a logitech MX Revolution which died on me after about 5 years use (battery issue). I am seriously considering returning the magic mouse and buying another MX revolution. The only advantage to using the magic mouse is that I dont have to ensure I carry round the USB dongle which the logitech required.

Is there a chance I have a bad unit? Or is this a fairly common issue with households who have 2.4GHz WiFi networks?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've always preferred Logitech mice, like my Anywhere Mouse MX.

3. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I've been using my magic mouse for a year now and love it. I use it everywhere and in very electrical noisy situations. Never had it stutter at all. Something doesn't seem right with your unit or possibly your blutooth.

4. jackrv macrumors 6502

I prefer Logitech over the magic mouse as well. In my case, the touch surface is too small to be comfortably used. I do however love the magic trackpad and have that as well as a wired mouse. I use the trackpad for UI navigation and everyday use, and the mouse whenever I use a program that requires precision.

5. MendotaMike macrumors newbie

I just got a new 27" iMac with both the trackpad and the magic mouse, and just love the magic mouse. No stuttering at all, and the gesturing (especially for Internet browsing) is fantastic. Just wish it was a little bit bigger. It's a little small for my hand.

Haven't made much use of the trackpad.

6. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

I used my Magic Mouse for a week, then put it away and haven't touched it since. I hated it! It's Apple's insistence that a mouse behave non-linearly that kills it for me.

7. tmagman macrumors 6502

yeah I'm all about the logitech mice as well... I have both a 6 year old G7 and a year old G500 and carry one of those around with me usually. They're built like tanks and their sensitivity and small movement area is what draws me to them.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I tried the Magic Mouse in the Apple Store once and decided it sucked. When I got my most recent iMac, I never even unpacked it. I use the Logitech Performance MX on all my computers.

9. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Mice are very subjective things I think. I really like the Magic Mouse, really didn't like the Logitech Performance MX. Other than the Magic Mouse, my second favorite is an old classic the Logitech Trackman Wheel Optical, which you can't even find anymore. Definitely everyone has preferences when it comes to mice.

10. Charcoalwerks macrumors regular

Charcoalwerks

Magic mouse for Ps and Ai. Magic pad for kicking back in bed and internet surfing. Love them both.

11. frank4 macrumors regular

frank4

I just started using the Magic Mouse today and would say the tracking action is smooth and precise, so the OP may have a bad unit. Maybe test it on someone else's Mac?

No apparent interference from several other radio wave gizmos in same room.

Eventually I may like this mouse a lot, but right now I'd say it's OK but not fantastic. My old wired Logitech wired mouse is hard to beat because I modified it to get rid of the annoying click on the wheel. The MM features are better for Mac/Lion however, even though I have a few minor quibbles (too much click pressure, too much tabletop friction).

12. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

I have the Logitech M305 mouse with the very small usb dogal and could not be happier. :D

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I got one for a present and it seems ok. Not as ergonomic as other mice but it seems to do the job for me.

14. kamuix macrumors regular

I bought one due to the hype when it first came out. It was alright, and no scroll wheel was cool. The shape of the mouse wasn't bad, you'd get used to it and acceleration was decent. To be honest, I did miss my logitech G7 when I used it on my old desktop. I switched to it, but I found the mouse settings via mac were not the greatest. I ended up getting a razer naga as it had mac support and the ability to mess with the dpi. So now the mouse flies like how the G7 did on my pc. :D

15. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

MM works great for web browsing. Love the inertia scrolling on it. I also use a PMX when on Windows.

16. KlytusLord macrumors regular

I like mine

I don't have any problems with my mouse, and I do love the seamless integration with OSX. However, it is certainly not the end-all of mice.

I use my Magic Mouse for normal everyday work. I also keep the Magic Trackpad on the left side of my keyboard, because gestures are more flexible on it than the mouse.

I have a Razer Mamba mouse for gaming, since the Magic Mouse is particularly bad for this purpose due to its lack of normal buttons.

17. Navdakilla macrumors 65816

That's weird you say that, because personally for me after going from gaming/ergonomic/all different types of mice, I really love the magic mouse. Took me a while to get used to it with all the gestures and stuff, but now that I'm used to it, I prefer it to any other mouse (minus when I'm gaming of course).

Eager to pull the trigger on a trackpad since they say it's as good as a macbook trackpad,