Distance between Watch and phone and connection- not impressed

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Khabbi, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Khabbi macrumors member

I have been playing with my watch all day, and had to charge my phone so I took my phone about 25 feet away (open line of sight also, btw) and the watch could not pick up the signal from the phone! This was dissapointing, as I was hoping to be able to leave my phone on my desk at work and walk around the office (to a certain extent) and stay connected.

I will have to do some more testing, but I'm curious as to what you guys are seeing for distance and connection?

2. Branskins macrumors 65816

Are they both on the same WiFi?

3. angle macrumors regular

You're towards the edge of BTLE at 25 ft, not to mention: do you have any other electronics? Are you in a house that has a cordless phone? Numerous lightbulbs? Ambient electronics? There are a million factors that come into play that could cause that type of signal degradation at 25 ft.

4. whatos macrumors 6502a

5. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

BTLE is only for 25ft? I get MUCH better distance with my jaybirds and garmin watch. Pretty sure they are both BTLE. Maybe just lucky.

6. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

How do you connect the watch to wifi? Sorry if that is a dumb question.

7. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

It is supposed to be able to connect to any your iPhone has in the past.

8. dearfriendx macrumors 6502

dearfriendx

You get MUCH better distance with your Jaybird Bluebuds because they utilize Bluetooth 2.1, not BTLE...

9. psylence2k macrumors 6502

I assume the watch notifies you (tap) when your phone and watch have gone out of range with one another ??

10. danlovaj macrumors regular

It displays a red iphone with a line thru it

11. psylence2k macrumors 6502

does it give you the tap notification or whatever it does in case you're not actually looking at/playing with the watch ?

12. Kent01 macrumors 6502

That's crap range. It should be as far as your wifi.

My work phone is an android and I have a moto 360 (waiting for my space grey!) and I can leave my bag on the first floor and take the elevator up 5 floors and still sync with my android via wifi.

I'm going to be pissed if my Apple watch doesn't work the same.

13. pragmatous macrumors 65816

It's probably the first batch defect of death!!!! I'm sure glad I'm waiting until June! :mad:

14. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I was just thinking that after I posted. Thanks for fixing that.

15. dearfriendx macrumors 6502

dearfriendx

Sure thing. How do you like the Bluebuds? I recently purchased SoundPeats off Amazon for $30 and they work great so far. Can't wait to use them with the Watch

16. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Had them for over a year and love them! Have been hard on them and they are finally going bad. I think the buttons on them are bad. The sound isn't the best but the trade off is they are light and no wires besides the ones connecting them. Running is great in them and then at the gym I can put my phone down and workout with no problems. Do think I will buy a second pair.

PS: I did buy some foam tips off amazon that made them so much better than the tips that come with them. Fit and sound.

17. dearfriendx macrumors 6502

dearfriendx

Nice to hear, hmm. I feel the same way about my SoundPeats. They're pretty damn legit for $30 and I have been using them at the gym for a month so far. I've read about those tips actually. The memory foam ones? I may look into them more once I get my watch.

18. SteveLV702 macrumors 6502

SteveLV702

weird cause I put my phone on charger in my room clear across other side of house and upstairs while I sat downstairs on the living room couch so not clear line of site and several walls in the way and mine worked perfectly fine.

19. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I'll have to check out the SoundPeats. Price sounds great :D:

Yeah the memory foam ones are the ones. Really like them