distant connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zoran, Jun 27, 2015.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

How can i work with and transfer files between 2 iMacs that are running different OSs? One imac is on SnowLeopard and the other is on Yosemite. What can i do in order to be working from one (SnowL iMac) with the files that are in the other (Yose iMac)? I must note that the two iMac are not connected to each other through any kind of network they are both distant and the only connectivity available is a dsl line for each!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Dropbox sounds like it would be the answer for you. Just install the Dropbox app on both machines and put the files you want to share in the Dropbox folder.

3. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

As Weaselboy have said, any cloud-solution will do the trick. Use Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive based on your preference or an FTP server if you have access to one.

4. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Τhere are many files to transfer in the DBox folder. The best thing would be to enter the Yose iMac as if i was there, entering as a user. Is that possible?

5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

I have an FTP client app (Transmit) installed in the Yose iMac, could that do the trick?

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@zoran Provided you are running a supported network configuration, you could use Back to my Mac to do what you need. You can read more information about Back to my Mac here.

7. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Looks good but it will only support macs that use OSX from Lion and above... one of the two iMacs i will be using uses SnowL

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can configure the one Mac to support remote file sharing and simply forward the ports. Another option is to use a private VPN service like LogMeIn Hamachi.

9. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Unfortunately not, that's just the client. You would need an access to a proper FTP server where you can upload your files and the second computer would then download them, for example through Transmit.

10. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Isnt there some way to log into the Yose iMac (as a user) from the Snow iMac?

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. You would enable file sharing over AFP or SMB and forward the appropriate ports.

12. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

How would i make those steps? Can someone guide me?

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

What router do you have? You will only be connecting to it via a Mac, correct? It would be simpler and more secure to use Log Me In Hamachi though!