Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
Okay, so I'm not quite sure when it started, but I have been having distorted/glitched audio moments for a few weeks now.

It also does not seem app related, as it happens regardless of the app I use.

I have searched the internet and it seems that quite a few people have had this issue while on iOS 11.3. Well, I'm on 11.4 and this problem still persists, so I'm wondering whether it actually is the same issue...

Does anyone have any pointers? I'm wondering if I should wipe the system off the phone and set it up fresh.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I do not detect this on my X.

Can you describe exactly when it happens and what it sounds like.

First step would be rebooting the phone.

After that I would make an encrypted backup via iTunes and reset my phone as new. See if it still distorts.

Let us know.

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
I do not detect this on my X.

Can you describe exactly when it happens and what it sounds like.

First step would be rebooting the phone.

After that I would make an encrypted backup via iTunes and reset my phone as new. See if it still distorts.

Let us know.

Thanks for your response.

It happens when I watch a video or when I listen to music or an audiobook. It happens about once every half our or so. The sound is similar to when you have a radio channel with a bad signal, it glitches out for about 5 seconds and then goes back to normal.

I'll do a reboot now and see if that changes anything.

Again, thanks for your input and I'll be sure to report back!

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Thanks for your response.

It happens when I watch a video or when I listen to music or an audiobook. It happens about once every half our or so. The sound is similar to when you have a radio channel with a bad signal, it glitches out for about 5 seconds and then goes back to normal.

I'll do a reboot now and see if that changes anything.

Again, thanks for your input and I'll be sure to report back!

Are you listening through the iPhones speakers or using BT?

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
@Newtons Apple, I've done a hard reset and - while it hasn't gone away completely, it doesn't seem as distorted as it was before the reset, but there's still some sort of "glitching" occurring, though far less frequently. This is quite odd.

The positive I take from this is that the probability of this being some software issue is very high. I'd be bummed if it were a hardware thing, so yeah.

I'll likely still do a fresh install as soon as I get the opportunity.

@BrianBaughn, if the issues becomes worse again, I'll definitely see into it. There's a thread here where people seem to be describing very similar (if not the same) issues that I've tried to depict: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/music-stuttering.2123939/#post-26180972

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
Okay, so I'm not quite sure when it started, but I have been having distorted/glitched audio moments for a few weeks now.

It also does not seem app related, as it happens regardless of the app I use.

I have searched the internet and it seems that quite a few people have had this issue while on iOS 11.3. Well, I'm on 11.4 and this problem still persists, so I'm wondering whether it actually is the same issue...

Does anyone have any pointers? I'm wondering if I should wipe the system off the phone and set it up fresh.

I've had this problem for a long while on Iphone 6S plus running 11.4 and previous OS versions. It's a very obvious problem and shocking for Apple to rease multiple "updates" of the OS without fixing the major problem in it.

Just got issued a new Iphone X at work. Will see if the same problem shows up....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.