distorted lines freeze on boot

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ninjawt, Feb 22, 2011.

1. ninjawt macrumors newbie

I have an 2006 macpro, nvidia 8800gt, yesterday my mac froze during diagnostics by onyx, there were green and pink wavy lines on screen, i did a hard shut down then trying rebooting, but immediately i see green vertical distorted lines and the boot doesn't get past by the apple logo. it freezes and have to shut it down.
    i've tried:
    resetting pram, smc
    removing half the ram and then the other half
    installed a new hdd, didn't really matter the same
    i even removed all hdd, the same
    can't start from os x dvd drive, freezes,
    the same for safe mode
    it does enter verbose mode, still the same lines, but i can't read all the commands, it's like it's half towards the left and other half is at the far right, but only the first letter of the commands, it's like i have a second screen.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2q0ixar.jpg

now 2 weeks ago, i had a similar problem but my mac didn't even boot.
    i replaced my graphics card and it worked fine, but just for a week, then again the same wavy lines during mac os x environment

any ideas?
    I'm desperate

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Sorry to say, the only thing that all the steps you've taken wouldn't fix is a busted logic board. You already know it's not software, which a new HD/new OS would have fixed. If not memory/video card, you're running out of hardware components to isolate to.

3. goMac macrumors 603

Your GPU is dead. Common issue with the 8800. Likely the replacement is also dead. The replacements are not fixed cards.