Distorting Speaker

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MarkW19, Nov 9, 2007.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Has anyone else found that when you get the volume up just even a bit on some tracks, the iPhone's speaker distorts badly when listening to a lot of music?

Or is it just mine?

EDIT: Certain ringtones (Marimba, Strum and others) distort slightly when the volume is high, as well as the "tri-tone" message sound. These never distorted on my old iPhone (US one back in August). Is it just that the volume has been increased now?

2. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

yeh i think its just the 1.1.1/1.1.2 firmware increasing volume, i updated, and at full volume i also notice poor quality...

nothing to worry about, perhaps in V2 we will get a speaker on the top, and bottom, so its stereo when watching movies, just a thourght.

3. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Cool, puts my mind at rest anyway, glad to know it's not just mine!

4. trevreyno macrumors member

Same here,I also thought it may be just mine.
    But its the only slightly disappointing thing so far-the rest is just as good as the reviews had promised!

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

if you're listening to actual music, the low end doesn't translate on those speakers very well, and it will distort the speaker ... there is a bass roll off setting in the EQ settings of the ipod. Applying that helps out a lot... (but be sure to change it when you're listening on headphones)

6. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Good tip re. the EQ.

Have you guys noticed slight distortion on the text message alert and ringtones too? I just remember Marimba and "tri-tone" being crystal clear on my US iPhone (before 1.1.1), but I guess it's because they're now louder? Still annoying though!

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Thanks! :)

no i haven't noticed .. but i also don't have my volume up all the way very often...

8. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

The EQ trick works great for the iPod, but not for youtube or iTMS obviously.

The thing that's annoying me most is the Tri-tone message tone, which distorts a bit even at medium volume. My old iPhone played the sound without distortion.

Can anyone else verify this?