Distortion in left speaker MBPr 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FuzzMunky, May 4, 2017.

1. FuzzMunky macrumors regular

tl;dr I got a new speaker to replace a distorting one, but the new speaker distorts too - yet only when installed. I have looked around and there are no obvious loose places that could be vibrating. Please help me figure this out.

Ok - in a little more detail:

I recently replaced my left speaker on my A1398 2012 15 inch MBPr. It was distorting, sounding like a torn tweeter/woofer. I got genuine apple part, (you can tell in ebay ads by the shape of the woofer cone) though I couldn't tell if it was refurbished or not. I installed the new speaker, which takes a long time as it's tucked beneath the mainboard.

When I turned it back on, the distortion was still there. So I took it apart and tested it loose, outside of the screw frame and it sounded fine. No distortion. I reseated it again and put the computer back together again. Still there was very noticeable distortion and buzzing. I took the computer apart again (yawn) as the buzzing was really frustrating to me, and I looked for any loose parts that could be vibrating around that area. I couldn't find anything, so I made sure I seated it freshly again and put it back together for the last time.

Still there is this godforsaken distortion. Please can someone help me figure out whats going on here? I am tempted to buy another speaker and try that. Though this one doesn't distort when not screwed down, it could be something that is absorbing the vibration when the speaker wasn't screwed down (?)

Other ideas are that there is something inside the speaker grills? Is this possible?

If any of you got this far, I'd appreciate any assistance. Although a buzzing speaker isn't the end of the world, I work with music, so I like to check it with laptop quality speakers - and also it's just an irritating sound.

Thanks

2. FuzzMunky thread starter macrumors regular