DISTRESS: MacBook+WD Elements+I am an IDIOT

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kobi.jae, Apr 11, 2011.

1. kobi.jae macrumors newbie

You know one of those times that is so awful, and you know JUST how awful it is the second after you do it, and you just wish wish WISH you had a time machine because you only want to go back 5 seconds and change it.

Well, that just happened.

I have a new (to me) 2nd hand MacBook, and i've just plugged my Elements HD into it and the guy who sold it to me explained that I could use Time Machine with it (ironic...). So it asked me, and I said yes, and then it said it needed to delete everything off first, to which I went to reply HELL NO - but by some cruel twist of fate I clicked "erase" and then it started deleting and I freaked out and really quickly pulled the chords out of my HD.

And now it's telling me it can't read the disc when I put it back in.

I've tried the repair disc utility (repair and verify) and i've tried restarting my computer and i've tried it in a PC.

Please, my life is over. Anyone talk me off the ledge with miraculous words of wisdom???

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I think diskwarrior might be of some help in that situation. Can't guarantee that it will work, but it's worth a shot.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Download Data Rescue 3 right away and run it on the disk. If data can be salvaged from it, Data Rescue is the most likely tool to be able to do it, and the less you do with the disk before recovery the more likely you are to be able to salvage stuff.

Data Rescue isn't free, but you can test it before paying and see what it's going to be able to recover, so you won't waste your money.

There are a number of other drive repair apps, but when it comes to true disasters like that Data Rescue is the go-to tool.

4. kobi.jae thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a bunch! I've downloaded the demo version of this and it's currently scanning (14 hr process!!). It's looking good on the recovery. If everything goes well, i'll gladly fork out the $100 for full version.