Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Hi,

I've created a load of lines by duplicating them around a origin (Presses 'R' and 'alt' then copy until I have enough - 188 lines)

Although they were initialled spaced evenly (rotates by n angle: 360/ 188 = 1.91 degrees).

I have now changed the line weights of some of the lines, so the spacing is no longer even.

How can adjust the spacing across all the lines, but fast and accurate?

Referring to the attached you can see that the spaced are not even, due to changing the line weights.

Thank you

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-10-18 at 11.43.15.png
    Screen shot 2011-10-18 at 11.43.15.png
    266.5 KB · Views: 1,259

davedee65

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
Did you mean something like this?

D

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-10-18 at 13.28.25.png
    Screen shot 2011-10-18 at 13.28.25.png
    201.7 KB · Views: 4,305

davedee65

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
Ah well there's the problem! As far as I can work out there is no way to evenly distribute objects around a circle or common point, only horizontally or vertically.

I'll tell you how I did mine and you can decide whether to follow!

1. Essentially what you need to do is arrange a series of boxes in a horizontal line, the same length as the circumference of your circle, that correspond to the number and thickness of lines you have in your design.

2. The first and last box need to be at the beginning and end of your line. Select all boxes and use the Align Tool>Horizontal Distribute Space button to evenly space the boxes along the line.

3. Then create an Art Brush out of the line of boxes.

4. Draw a circle at the correct circumference with a stroke and no fill. Apply the brush to that circle.

5. Select the circle and Expand it to give you a series of boxes in a circle.

6. Now for the boring bit! Using the Direct Selection Tool you need to select all points on the inner circumference of the boxes.

7. With these point selected use alt-cmd-j>both and hit return and bingo it's done!

I expect there will be a bit of trial and error involved to get it just how you want it. Mind you I don't doubt that someone much cleverer than me will come up with a very elegant simple solution!!

Leave it with ya!

D

anotonin

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Ah well there's the problem! As far as I can work out there is no way to evenly distribute objects around a circle or common point, only horizontally or vertically.

I'll tell you how I did mine and you can decide whether to follow!

1. Essentially what you need to do is arrange a series of boxes in a horizontal line, the same length as the circumference of your circle, that correspond to the number and thickness of lines you have in your design.

2. The first and last box need to be at the beginning and end of your line. Select all boxes and use the Align Tool>Horizontal Distribute Space button to evenly space the boxes along the line.

3. Then create an Art Brush out of the line of boxes.

4. Draw a circle at the correct circumference with a stroke and no fill. Apply the brush to that circle.

5. Select the circle and Expand it to give you a series of boxes in a circle.

6. Now for the boring bit! Using the Direct Selection Tool you need to select all points on the inner circumference of the boxes.

7. With these point selected use alt-cmd-j>both and hit return and bingo it's done!

I expect there will be a bit of trial and error involved to get it just how you want it. Mind you I don't doubt that someone much cleverer than me will come up with a very elegant simple solution!!

Leave it with ya!

D

I'm going to try this. It seems simple enough for me to try. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.