Distributed Computing and the MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Blondie :), May 25, 2011.

1. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I've been told that distributed computing is ok to use with your laptop, as long as you have an adequate cooling system. I have the MacBook Pro fans (of course) and I also have a cooling pad. After using a distributed computing program for a long period of time, my MacBook Pro CPU still reaches and maintains temperatures of 85C. Is this ok for the CPU? Everything else is relatively cool thanks to the cooling pad. I'm just wondering if the processor can stay that hot for long periods of time.

I have a MacBook Pro 2011 with an i5, 4GB RAM, and 320GB hard drive.

Thanks guys

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

There's absolutely nothing special about distributed programs. It's just an issue of the machine keeping itself cool under any situation, and if the machine can't, then it's defective. Don't worry about it so much. Just don't let it toast itself buried under the covers on your bed, you know?

3. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

4. klooney macrumors regular

I run BOINC on my 2010 Macbook Pro I5 with no issues (SETI and Folding@home). Just be aware that the fans will spin up so if your'e running it at night its not best to be around you when you sleep. I've also noticed that the magsafe power supply gets very hot, I try not to set it on anything flammable.

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I also run BOINC (just SETI@Home) and have my preferences set to use no more than 50% of the processor capacity.

6. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I have made a few posts there before asking the same question, but never seem to get the answer I'm looking for. Basically, I'm wondering how much of an effect a constantly hot CPU will have on computer lifespan.

Thanks,

Mitch Guzman