Distributed Processor Load Over Network

Discussion in 'macOS' started by carlosbutler, Nov 2, 2009.

1. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

I have heard that there is a free app that is able to share your computer processor load over the network to another computer. I have an iMac and would like to see if I could get my MacBook Pro to also work out things, running in parallel.

So if for example I want rip a movie or work out Pi to a billion decimal places (which i dont :p) I can have both computers working on this task.

The person that told me has got it set up on their machines, but because this person worked in a shop they apparently weren't able to tell me the program, or what to search for on Google and after my searching around I got nothing.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Generally the program you are using (or more commonly with things like this, the program you write) has to support distributing the load. Most out-of-the-box applications don't, and I've never heard of any program that can tell other proprietary software how to divvy up its required loads over a network. I'd be interested if there was one though, even though its probably a security nightmare.

3. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

What you are describing is a cluster. So search for "Mac Cluster" and you will find some stuff out there.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Xgrid is built into all Macs since 10.4. As noted above software must be specifically designed and written to use it.

5. carlosbutler thread starter macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

well I have been looking around, ended up with http://www.jppf.org/downloads.php , from Wikipedia

Not really sure if this was it, I'll try it when I get back home, although doubtful as to what I was describing.

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

It's a framework for Java. Framework meaning it's a set of API's that let you build network processor sharing applications. It doesn't enable any app to magically do things over a network.

Parallel computing is a very difficult programming environment. Some things are easier than others, such as converting movies but that is mostly because you do those in very large chunks, say computer 1 does this half, the other computer does the other half. No overlap or there are huge synchronisation issues. My lecturer told us once: 99% of all parallel code anyone writes will be wrong.

If you're just looking to convert movies, you can just do it manually. It'll save you the headache.